Thread: Ignition key tumbler worn?

Ignition key tumbler worn?

I am having issues turning the ignition to start from time to time. I looked at my key and it appears to be very worn down. Is it possible to have a new key cut when the key that needs to be copied is so worn down?
    Bill

Early 911S Registry Member #4087
    Instagram: @myflat6

'72T hotrod 210 0228
    '82SC Targa
    '97C4S (sold - and regretting it)

Search for “key” and “Pennsylvania” will lead you to Tony Euganeo, but as mentioned in the thread, picking up the phone is a quicker option than emailing .... he’ll sort you out Bill.

https://www.early911sregistry.org/fo...y+Pennsylvania

Tony Euganeo
    501 Folcroft Avenue
    Sharon Hill, PA 19079

Work Tel: +1 (610) 461-0519
    Work e-mail: daskeyman@verizon.net (Prefers calls to e-mails)
    URL: http://lockandkeyid.com/
    Karl: E911SR #792 ; RG #420 ; GS #7

'72T Coupe - Sepia Brown

Quote Originally Posted by karlusmagnus View Post
    Search for “key” and “Pennsylvania” will lead you to Tony Euganeo, but as mentioned in the thread, picking up the phone is a quicker option than emailing .... he’ll sort you out Bill.

https://www.early911sregistry.org/fo...y+Pennsylvania

Tony Euganeo
    501 Folcroft Avenue
    Sharon Hill, PA 19079

Work Tel: +1 (610) 461-0519
    Work e-mail: daskeyman@verizon.net (Prefers calls to e-mails)
    URL: http://lockandkeyid.com/

Awesome - thanks!
    Bill

'72T hotrod 210 0228
    '82SC Targa

Please report back how this goes. I've heard lots of good about Tony's work, but also some complaints about turnaround time and communication. His website says email is the only contact method, and does not even list his phone number.
    - Arne
    Current - 2018 718 Cayman, Rhodium Silver, PDK

Sold - 1972 911T coupe, Silver Metallic; 1984 911 Carrera coupe, Chiffon white; 1973 914 2.0, Saturn Yellow; 1984 944, Silver Metallic

Quote Originally Posted by Arne View Post
    Please report back how this goes. I've heard lots of good about Tony's work, but also some complaints about turnaround time and communication. His website says email is the only contact method, and does not even list his phone number.
    I ended up emailing Tony just because his website said to and because I could multi-task during meetings. He responded almost immediately. He said the issues I am having is common with the early 911 ign switches and that the tumbler needs to be repaired and retaining clip installed. The service is $250 shipped. I also sent him a photo of my key and it sounds like it is too worn down for him to even work with -- so I have bigger problems. He recommended I pull the ignition to see if the code tag is still on it.
    Bill

'72T hotrod 210 0228
    '82SC Targa

I found this article from the 101 projects book very insightful, even though it doesn’t help you right away:
    https://www.pelicanparts.com/techart...y/76-Rekey.htm

I’m thinking that if you disassemble the lock cylinder, you should be able to determine how the key should look and make a new one.
    1970 2.2S Elfenbeinweiss
    1972 2.4T Targa Aubergine (MFI) [For sale]
    2002 996 TT Midnight Blue
    Member #3833

Quote Originally Posted by frederik View Post
    I found this article from the 101 projects book very insightful, even though it doesn’t help you right away:
    https://www.pelicanparts.com/techart...y/76-Rekey.htm

I’m thinking that if you disassemble the lock cylinder, you should be able to determine how the key should look and make a new one.
    this is great - thanks!
    Bill

'72T hotrod 210 0228
    '82SC Targa

I spoke with Tony over email just before Christmas. he was a week delayed in responding each time, but very responsive and helpful beyond that. I didn't get to the rekeying project I wanted to do over the winter due to surgery, but +1 for him.

Ravi
    Early 911S Registry # 2395
    1973 Porsche 911S in ivory white 5sp MT
    2015 Porsche Macan S in agate grey 7sp PDK