Thread: Help with Fuel Tank for 73 MFI Targa

Help with Fuel Tank for 73 MFI Targa

Hello
    I have a 1973 911 T Targa and I need to replace the fuel tank. Is there such a thing as a good used fuel tank? Has anybody bought one of the new tanks and can offer some real world experience with installation?
    Thank you
    Rodger@orbitracing.com

Will watch this thread for responses, as I'd like to eventually replace the dented tank in my '72 MFI T.

I seem to recall people saying that the Dansk tanks had a problem with one of the fittings, can't remember if it was the supply or the return line. This was a couple years ago, so this could have been corrected in current units.

I can say that I recently got a Dansk tank for my other project, a VW Rabbit Pickup. It seems to be a decent product in that application.
    - Arne
    Current - 2018 718 Cayman, Rhodium Silver, PDK

Sold - 1972 911T coupe, Silver Metallic; 1984 911 Carrera coupe, Chiffon white; 1973 914 2.0, Saturn Yellow; 1984 944, Silver Metallic

To answer the first part of your question, yes there are good used tanks, but all must be inspected. I have had good experiences using many gallons of white vinegar. I takes two weeks of sloshing and rolling to yield a clean and rust free interior. For the final treatment I use a quart of metal etch phosphoric acid coating. Of course there are tanks not worthy of this effort. Rob
    Last edited by 30westrob; 04-25-2021 at 06:00 AM.

I got a good used tank in 2012. Not sure of how it was cleaned out, but the filters are all spotless, so clearly it is possible.
    The real question is whether such tanks are still available, as that was before the run up in prices.
    Early 911S Registry # 2395
    1973 Porsche 911S in ivory white 5sp MT
    2015 Porsche Macan S in agate grey 7sp PDK

Good Used Fuel Tank

Quote Originally Posted by Orbit View Post
    . . . have a 1973 911 T Targa and I need to replace the fuel tank. Is there such a thing as a good used fuel tank? . . .
    No mention of your budget, but this one 's $70 . . .

'. . . Porsche 911 early Fuel tank pulled from a 1969 911 912- GAS Tank. Condition is "Used" . . .'
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/16482184211...0AAOSwb4tgaveb

Might also try just placing a WTB ad

Jus' sayin'

Attached Images Attached Images  

We Can Be Heroes

That is a later model tank for a space saver spare. I currently run that in my 69 hotrod and have been thinking of going to a correct tank so I can utilize a full size spare.
    Scott H.
    1969 Coupe LtWt
    1973.5 911T

Hey Roger, I have one that's at Phil's place, will call you tomorrow.
    Russ

ESR # 1537

'62 356S Notchback Hotrod
    '67 S Das Geburtstagsgeschenk
    '68 T Targa Sportomatic
    '68 L SW Targa Sportomatic
    '70 914/6 GT