Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oil level at dip stick

Oil level at dip stick

I did a dip stick search. I felt each thread was unresolved. I'm filling a 911E for the first time. It has Elephant's oil cooler lines and a Carrera cooler. I think I know the answer to my question but I want to make sure with feedback here. My 67 type dipstick can't be inserted in like the one that can be pushed to the end of the handle. The one that can be inserted all the way registered oil 1/2 way between full and a quart low with 12 quarts. The one like my 67 car barely showed any oil. See the marks. The dipstick that can be inserted all the way seems like the proper one. Or is it just telling me what I want to see and not correct. The one like my 67 car is 11 3/4 inches, the other 11 5/8 inches.
    From the red marks on the handles to the red marks on the dipsticks is 8 3/4 inches.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    1959 Auratium Green 356A Super w/ Rudge wheels
    1970 Irish Green 914-6 w/2.2S
    Current -1967 Bahama Yellow 912 POLO 2cam4 #1
    www.reSeeWorks.com
    Personalized Vintage Porsche's and parts
    I couldn't find the sports car of my dreams, so I built it myself-Ferdinand Porsche

Question

The one that can be inserted all the way registered oil 1/2 way between full and a quart low with 12 quarts.
    Chris,

With the above mentioned level, what does your oil tank gauge read at running temp ?

cm
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Member #226 R Gruppe Life Member #147
    In your pix, the one on the left is a 901/911 thru 71. The one on the right is 72—>. What kind of oil tank is in the car, you’re not clear on that. Here are some 73 sticks on the bottom and late SC/Turbo sticks on the top. Use the stick for your tank and add or subtract oil till your satisfied.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Chuck,
    I've only run the engine so far for 2 or 3 minutes yesterday. I'll have to look again. I think it was on 6.
    www.reSeeWorks.com
    I couldn't find the sports car of my dreams, so I built it myself-Ferdinand Porsche

As I recall I bought a new 901/911 tank for this car. It looks very much like the tank on my 67 car. It didn't come with a dipstick. If it's the dipstick on the left like my 67 one, then it will need another quart. That would mean 13 quarts to fill the engine, tank and front oil cooler.
    www.reSeeWorks.com

member #1515
    11-12 quarts should fill you up, 13 sounds a bit much. You'll spit it out through your breather.
    How did you get a measurement without getting it to 180 degrees?
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

I had it at idle. Still cold though. At 180F how much expansion should I see? I would need a 1/2 quart on the dipstick to be about a 1/2 quart below max.
    www.reSeeWorks.com

member #1515
    at 180 the thermostat opens and oil flows to the coolers
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

Yes I know. But somehow the oil must have got in there as there are already 12 quarts in the system.
    www.reSeeWorks.com

Member #226 R Gruppe Life Member #147
    The cold oil will fill the entire system, with the oil waiting at the aux thermostat exit until it to opens. U will need to account for expansion.