Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Secondary VIN underneath

Secondary VIN underneath

There is supposedly a secondary partial VIN underneath the car in a secret location that only law enforcement knows about. Anyone run into it?

It depends on model and year, but there are several possibilities. Some 356 have partial VIN's in a few areas. This carried over to the 911 & 912. In addition, there was the production # stamped & handwritten in a few areas. Karmann cars generally have a Karmann body # stamped in one of two areas. 914's also had production and Karmann #'s.
    Porsche Historian, contact for Kardex & CoA-type Reports
    Addicted since 1975, ESR mbr# 2200 to 2024 03
    Researching Paint codes and Engine Build numbers

Quote Originally Posted by usaspeedster View Post
    that only law enforcement knows about.
    Based on the age of Police Officers here in New Zealand most would not know what end the engine was in.

As an example, I was pulled over for speeding (15mph over) last month. Once stopped I lifted the 'throttle lever' up and she was purring at about 3000rpm. I told the officer (who was a nice young fella) that my accelerator cable was sticking and hence the speed infringement. He said "pop the hood and lets have a look" and went and stood at the front of the 911, like "really" so when I lifted the rear lid he just stared at the engine and pointed at the fan. "whats that" he said and I replied "thats the Turbo" to which he said "that's huge''.
    and...
    Yes I still got ticketed.
    Mark

1978. I looked under the dash, no grease pencil number. And I found the production number under the radio. But this number is stamped somewhere supposedly under the car.

1978. I looked under the dash, no grease pencil number. And I found the production number under the radio. But this number is stamped somewhere supposedly under the car.
    I've seen quite a few early 912 and 911 sans any paint, completely stripped. Other than the hidden number behind the ash tray and the grease pencil on top of the dash i have never seen another number. I call BS on that story

~J~
    air cooled only

there is supposedly a secondary partial vin underneath the car in a secret location that only law enforcement knows about. Anyone run into it?
    No, not so! With the number of Porschephiles who have served in law enforcement, and the number of these cars that have been disassembled down to their last bolt and nut, we would certainly know about this fact if there were any truth to it.
    Last edited by ejboyd5; 05-04-2021 at 09:37 AM.

That's quite the story... shame about the ticket though...
    Quote Originally Posted by NZVW View Post
    1966 911 Coupe - Slate Grey - 304598 - still in restoration!

Member #1616

+1... there are some 3-digit stamps on some body parts on some early cars, but this was done in assembly to keep pre-fitted parts together... to paraphrase what Mark says, most police wouldn't know a vin from a van...

Quote Originally Posted by ejboyd5 View Post
    No, not so!
    1966 911 Coupe - Slate Grey - 304598 - still in restoration!

Member #1616

Quote Originally Posted by NZVW View Post
    "whats that" he said and I replied "thats the Turbo" to which he said "that's huge''ticketed.
    and...
    ha ha you should have told him ...it's the ticket shredder
    Light Yellow -74
    @lagteknik

one question:
    my brother has my dads car, he bought new.
    but in the 50 years....someone cut out the radio area to add a large flat screen.
    so my brother bought a new radio area in sheet metal....and welded it in place. but now his stamped number is not right.
    and he never found the grease pencil number under the dash.
    davep...is there a way to find out what that number was?

Current long term ownership: 63 Cab, 71 911, 74 914