Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Battery for a 1972 911s

Battery for a 1972 911s

I was using a Interstate 911 single battery and they do not make them anymore. Would anyone have a lead on what type of replacement brand that's available now? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Mike

Advance Auto has a lead acid battery with sealed caps so you can run a vent line overboard instead of venting into the battery box. The fit is perfect, no changing of wire ends or bungee tiedowns required. "BEP T 4"
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

The Sonnenschein A512/40 A has no vent, is an AGM battery and fits like a glove.

You can move the Sonnenschein label to the back side and put the Varta or Deta sticker of your choice on the front. This one is correct for '72 (https://www.isaydingdong.co.uk/oursh...Volt-90mm.html)

Ravi

Name:  A8903A2F-B9A3-40FE-B2BA-C0FF02E055E5.jpg
Views: 991
Size:  138.0 KB
    Early 911S Registry # 2395
    1973 Porsche 911S in ivory white 5sp MT
    2015 Porsche Macan S in agate grey 7sp PDK

sonnenschein is BEST, I think he was looking for a Interstate alternative.
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Thanks for all the help. I will get the Sonnenschein. I was looking for the Interstate alternative.

I have been using lead acid batteries for all my life in a variety of vehicles and have never any problem with spillage or vapors. Is my experience really that unusual? Is it necessary to consider a vent tube or battery mat in a Porsche?

That is a bit unusual. Every older vehicle I owned had a corroded battery tray. That includes a 73.5 GMC 3/4 ton and a Saab 900 Turbo. My 911 had both battery boxes rusted on the inside when I bought it, with a nice damp mixture of acid and rust on the bottom of the box. I think if one maintains their batteries and their car, it's not as much of an issue, but my car had been neglected. Neither battery had a hose for venting and one battery case had cracks. And the design of the 911 fender boxes without ventilation is kinda a recipe for this kind of rot.
    Early 911S Registry # 2395
    1973 Porsche 911S in ivory white 5sp MT
    2015 Porsche Macan S in agate grey 7sp PDK

Quote Originally Posted by ejboyd5 View Post
    I have been using lead acid batteries for all my life in a variety of vehicles and have never any problem with spillage or vapors. Is my experience really that unusual? Is it necessary to consider a vent tube or battery mat in a Porsche?
    My experience also...no issues at all on a 70, 72, or 73 911. The 72 has 4 year old interstates kept on a battery tender and not a hint of corrosion.

There IS a reason so many front pans are replaced,,,it may be related to usage, and state of charge, higher charging rates leads to more gassing. Perhaps your tender kept the battery more fully charged and thus didn't gas as much. Consider yourself lucky! Was this a daily driver usage? Cars rarely driven don't have as much opportunity to recharge and vent gases.
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Ed - you are indeed correct as always. My examples are - or were not - daily driven cars and always kept on chargers when not use to maintain optimum charge levels. As you say, the rusted pans happened for a reason.