Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Riddle me this?

That is a mount for a front trombone loop style oil cooler , I am sure !

My car did not have an oil cooler when I got it, or indeed from the factory. We added the trombone cooler during the restoration. The original trombone I had Robert use was a 74- cooler, but more recently I replaced it with the proper one and the soft line connectors. It’s not obvious to me where this mount goes. Don’t see it in the parts manual but haven’t checked the workshop manual yet.

Name:  0B90B714-478D-4DD0-B6E1-C16710D01339.jpg
Views: 201
Size:  112.4 KB
    Early 911S Registry # 2395
    1973 Porsche 911S in ivory white 5sp MT
    2015 Porsche Macan S in agate grey 7sp PDK

It's the lower bracket for the '74 and later trombone coolers . Nice you have a '73 style , I've seen numerous original cars with yellow zinc plating on the cooler and no paint .

Thanks Richy. This all makes perfect sense then. The cooler that comes from Porsche (above) has the 3 tabs that attach it to the body and that’s why I couldn’t see a logical place to add this bracket. The cooler in the post above and the soft lines are available from your friendly neighbourhood Porsche dealer. I have seen original in yellow zinc and also black. It’s possible the black ones were replacements from a long time ago and just look original.

What I can tell you with some authority is that the radiative losses of black tubing are higher than anything metal coloured, so from a functional perspective (given that these coolers were never super efficient), I kept it black rather than blasting it and getting it plated.

Ravi
    Last edited by NorthernThrux; 05-16-2021 at 05:34 AM.

Ravi , I wasn't implying your cooler was wrong , just interesting that some were black and some were yellow zinc .

I don't think they were made from steel and plated yellow zink in the beginning, probably first after the bean counters scored a win. Mine is made from brass.

Light Yellow -74
    @lagteknik

gtBen , your picture is a '74 or later cooler , '73's were steel and zinc plated .

Quote Originally Posted by Richy View Post
    gtBen , your picture is a '74 or later cooler , '73's were steel and zinc plated .
    Right and also that photo shows the mystery clamp that I was wondering about. I actually tossed my trombone cooler that looked like the one above. It was steel and painted black and came off a '75 911 from Frank at Nineapart.

Thanks Richy and Ravi, not the first time I'm wrong
    Light Yellow -74
    @lagteknik