Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: FS: Brembo lightweight 3" caliper set

Dave is absolutely correct.
    keep the brake balance/bias in mind!

see the comparison sheet!

i received this from chris pomares, when I upgraded my 65
    with the Brembo for using vented and drilled discs in the front and a pair of reworked calipers from PMB, also for using vented and drilled discs.

Kept the 48/38 bias…which is „a must“ on balancing the chassis in case of emergency

otherwise, all plug‘n play - if you want to run on steelies you do need a 10mm spacer front an rear, so longer studs are needed, too

enjoy
    Attached Images Attached Images
    59 750 pre unit triton
    63 650 gray silver bikinitub triumph thunderbird
    70 650 astralred silver triumph bonneville
    65 912 slate gray "erwin"
    73 914 ravennagreen "ferdl"
    erwin_loves_polo

Quote Originally Posted by gtBen View Post
    Does that work well? with or without a proportioning valve. They have the same piston diameter and the same pad size, only pad thickness differs.
    HI Ben
    These pads are not something you would run on a street car. I like a progressive "bite" on the initial engangement. For a street car hp+ and hps hawks for the rear might be the choice. The
    hp+ does make dust and noise compared to most street pads.Think of the HP+ as a semi race pad. I'm going to go further and say for street cars a brake caliper upgrade really isn't needed but its a nice weight loss.

At Rennsport I ran stock S calipers up front and std rears. Only upgrade over a stock S was lines, pads and vented rotors. If you have time you can watch the video and look at the braking zones. Car never missed a beat and zero fade for 15 laps. I did upgrade to the Brembo rears after this and noticed no real difference but saved weight. I did make a pad change but can't remember what.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAObQTokEtA&t=1618s

Now I will be running them on the front of my 67S with stock rears. Pictures of it installed on the lose weight thread in the general section forum.

As for clearence, zero issues with Fuchs or Minilites. I have not tried others. I guess we should know what car are you looking to put these on?
    You can read about the caliper here at PMB
    https://www.pmbperformance.com/catal...45/6862358.htm
    Last edited by Fubawu; 06-07-2021 at 06:36 AM.
    911 1967S 308470
    [B]911 1965 301946 Irish Green
    [B]911 1965 302962 Polo Red
    911 1965 300760 White SOLD
    911 1971S S/T 2.5
    914-6 1970 GT 2.3
    Look for me at a track near you!
    Early S Reg #2699
    https://www.facebook.com/#!/MachineMotorsports

I ran the Alfa Brembo's for 10 years on my 67. They worked well. Those U shaped pad pins are 910 reproduction as I recall. I think they are long ago NLA. Those are Ti bolts for the Brembo's never installed. At that time PMB had spacers for the stock 35 mm piston rears with my offset dog bones I had lasered (S 38's are even better) so I had vented rotors on the rears also. You need to lathe the outside edge of NA 944 rear rotors 2 mm. I had my rotors cryoed and after 15,000 miles they are still in great shape. That's mostly Colorado mountain pass driving. I've since massively upgraded to early Boxster Brembo's up front and after much research had custom 42 mm piston rears built that kept the 1.6 front rear bias. The car brakes strait and true. I'm going to try 24 mm wide Carrera rotors this summer. 15 inch Fuchs clear the non S Boxster Brembo's. I run 16's. Granted you can only brake to the ability of the tires but modulation is vastly improved.
    I just sold my SWB struts and brakes, photo #1. And here are my upgrades.

As stated above. If you put the Alfa Brembo's on the rear of the LWB cars you will need to be careful on caliper selection up front. S, SC/Carrera, or early non S Boxster Brembo's might not have proper bias as they have 48 mm pistons. My 42's are proper for my Boxster fronts on a SWB car. I know of someone who ran the Alfa Brembo's on the rear with Boxster Brembo's on the track and the bias was off. The early S Boxster caliper is the same I think but designed to work with a larger rotor and 16's. It might work with the Alfa Brembo's but I never researched it. If you have a LWB car just run the Boxster calipers front and rear or some other brake option. You now have brakes that can stop a car 800 to a 1000 pounds heavier and feel less stressed to me on the mountain passes.
    The 87 to 89 Carrera's ran 48mm up front and 42 mm in the rear but they also added a brake bias at that time.

If I was going to do a 3.0 upgrade today I would go to the late 70's early 80's BMW Euro 323iS ATE. 3 lbs heavier but NO flex. Same pads as the Alfa Brembo. Here are a couple pictures of restored 323iS's. Pictures 3, 8, 9. If you look for these make sure they are ATE as they use something else also.
    Last edited by Chris Pomares; 07-14-2021 at 05:28 AM.
    1959 Auratium Green 356A Super w/ Rudge wheels
    1970 Irish Green 914-6 w/2.2S
    Current -1967 Bahama Yellow 912 POLO 2cam4 #1
    www.reSeeWorks.com
    Personalized Vintage Porsche's and parts
    I couldn't find the sports car of my dreams, so I built it myself-Ferdinand Porsche

Chris

Really nice set up. Can you go over what you did to mount the larger rear caliper?
    911 1967S 308470
    911 1971S S/T 2.5
    914-6 1970 GT 2.3
    Early S Reg #2699

Front adapter is a Rebel Racing product on a 3.5 S Koni. After a handful of conversations with Eric at PMB I had him mill a set of 70-72 42 mm 914 front calipers to go with his adapters. This has never been done before with this caliper. The adapters are off about 2 mm's as the area surrounding the piston in the caliper is much larger. I had my machinist mill them slightly (elongate the top hole) to rock the top of the caliper forward 3 mm. They are bolted tight and the rotation of the rotor ensures the caliper will stay away from the hub. I'm waiting for a second set that will have the holes for the mounting of the caliper but no holes to mount to the car. I need to move the holes to allow the caliper to move 2 mm away from the hub. It works fine as is but it's not elegant. It bugs me. I only like perfect.
    Last edited by Chris Pomares; 06-07-2021 at 09:30 AM.
    www.reSeeWorks.com
    I couldn't find the sports car of my dreams, so I built it myself-Ferdinand Porsche

Thanks Chirs, please post the progress! Would be a fun thread to watch
    911 1967S 308470
    911 1971S S/T 2.5
    914-6 1970 GT 2.3
    Early S Reg #2699

Quote Originally Posted by Fubawu View Post
    Thanks Chirs, please post the progress! Would be a fun thread to watch
    I might have covered some or all of this here.
    https://www.early911sregistry.org/fo...12-almost-done
    www.reSeeWorks.com

I was about to upgrade my Boge struts with AM brembo's when I found a pitted pair to restore with parts from PMB, unfortunately he had no 910 pins.
    Then some Öhlins made it into the plans and I needed to put them into Bilstein struts, so I got no use for the AM brembo's and got a pair of S-calipers. And then I found a pair of non-modified 930 rears.
    montering-bromsok-fram-belagg-am-m-s.jpg
    (AM Milano, not AM Montreal)
    Quote Originally Posted by haul View Post
    Dave is absolutely correct.
    keep the brake balance/bias in mind!
    I agree with you, but I was interested to know how well it worked for Fubawu.
    I have a similar excel sheet but simpler. For me it would be better/best to find a pair of 930 fronts to match 930 rears with a matching m/c.

Quote Originally Posted by Fubawu View Post
    HI Ben
    These pads are not something you would run on a street car. I like a progressive "bite" on the initial engangement. For a street car hp+ and hps hawks for the rear might be the choice. The
    hp+ does make dust and noise compared to most street pads.Think of the HP+ as a semi race pad. I'm going to go further and say for street cars a brake caliper upgrade really isn't needed but its a nice weight loss.
    Very nice video. I'm used to HP+ and HT10, HP+ is a very good compromise for a trackday car if you don't like agressive squeeks.
    Doesn't it take quite a bit of luck to find pads that make 38mm front and 38mm rears to work well together? I don't have the experience to count on success there. And same for me, I'm in it for the weight saving.
    Some math says to keep the 1,6 bias you need a dia of 60mm (or double pot 43mm) in front to match 48mm rears - and then you have to find a m/c to match as well. I think a safer bet for me is 930 brakes before the 3.6 on webers find it's right place.

So many nice brakes. I have followed your brake escapades in your car thread and learned a lot.
    Light Yellow -74
    @lagteknik

I talked to folks at PMB after my post. They will be moving from a 2000 square foot building to an 8000 square foot one. They will be bringing machining and maybe other processes in house.
    The LWB cars have several rear brake choices that just don’t work for the SWB cars. Lucky for them. That being said I’m still a SWB fan.
    www.reSeeWorks.com

Hi Chris,

Great news for PMB. Eric seems like a great guy. By the way, I plan to be out in your area in September. Perhaps we can link up.

Bumping this thread as I have 2 pairs of calipers to offer. The set pictured, and another identical set.
    Rob