Thread: Shift knob

Shift knob

Hi guys,
    I'm wondering if anyone else had had an issue with their 1969E having the Reverse and 1st gear practically under their right leg? It feels unnatural but the car is original and unmolested.
    Thanks!
    Jonathan

"Original and unmolested" doesn't mean there aren't a lot of things to deteriorate or go out of adjustment in the 901 shifter linkage chain. This is a common problem and an easy DIY fix.
    Rich Spritz

1959 BMC Huffaker Mk1 Formula Junior racecar
    1967 Porsche 911 racecar
    1969 Porsche 911T
    1970 Winkelmann WDF2 Formula Ford racecar
    1973 Merlyn Mk24 Formula Ford racecar
    2007 Porsche 997C4 cab (totaled by an idiot running a stop sign)
    2014 Porsche 991 TurboS cab
    2019 Cayman GTS (wife's)

Thank you! I’ll bring it in to porsche Las Vegas and see what their classic mechanics think. It’s bizarre. Even the 2nd and 4th gear end up being under the leather when engaged. I’m not qualified to fix anything and wouldn’t even attempt to try! (Unless it was something so simple as I don’t want to cause more damage)
    I appreciate the response.

There are a number of plastic bushings and guides that wear out, causing excessive play in the shifter. In addition, the coupler between the linkage rod (in the tunnel) and the transmission wears out over time. Finally, the collar that holds the shifter coupler to the linkage rod can come loose, allowing that join to slip and move the shift positions out of adjustment. Fiddly stuff, but an easy fix.
    Rich Spritz

1959 BMC Huffaker Mk1 Formula Junior racecar
    1967 Porsche 911 racecar
    1969 Porsche 911T
    1970 Winkelmann WDF2 Formula Ford racecar
    1973 Merlyn Mk24 Formula Ford racecar
    2007 Porsche 997C4 cab (totaled by an idiot running a stop sign)
    2014 Porsche 991 TurboS cab
    2019 Cayman GTS (wife's)

It’s the 69 Targa that Ralph Booth used to own. I’m trying to keep it as perfect as I received it when I bought it last year.
    It’s fun to drive but incredibly annoying due to the bizarre shift positions. Appreciate the info and I’ll be taking it in to get fixed. I’m sure it’ll be more fun driving when I can actually shift the thing without having to gently guide it under the underside of the ashtray lol.

Thumbs up

Congrats Johnathan!!!

Ralph and Jeri showed their/your Targa at every Porsche event they could !!!!

Cheers and luck,
    cm
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Thanks Chuck! I feel very fortunate to own it.