Thread: WTB: 1971 Snorkel for factory Air Conditioning

WTB: 1971 Snorkel for factory Air Conditioning

Hi Guys !! Looking for the rare snorkel for a factory air car. A member had one for sale recently:649757EB-6B0D-4B5B-ABE6-1A0DBD6C22CF.jpg. Thanks. George
    George Kehler in Tennessee

1955 356 coupe
    1971 911S (knee deep in restoration)
    1997 993 Targa

What makes this for air conditioning? Looks like it was cobbled together.
    Mike Fitton # 2071
    2018 911S Carrera White
    2012 991 Platinum Silver ( Gone)
    1971 911T Targa Bahia Red (Gone to France)
    1995 911 Carrera Polar Silver (Gone)

No Affiliation with City of Chicago!

Quote Originally Posted by mfitton View Post
    What makes this for air conditioning? Looks like it was cobbled together.
    Because it kind of was IMO. The regular position for the snorkle was to to the right as looking at the engine. However, on AC cars, the compressor is on the right. Can't just rotate the standard snorkle to the opposite side because the warm up tube would now point up towards the engine lid instead of down where the the warm up tubing would come from.

My suspicion is that Porsche took the standard snorkles and cut them after the bend, rotated the snout and then reattached them to the main body so that the warm up tube pointed down when the snorkle points to the left .

So, the two part construction with an obvious left hand pointing mount with the warm up tube with the correct orientation makes it correct for an AC car. Unfortunately as I recall, the AC systems weren't documented well, only listed as a single part number option?? So, no pretty pictures at least in my parts manuals.

I should dig my snorkle out of storage as my car had AC on it (and per the COA). I took off and sold all of the AC parts from my car including the AC only coil plate. Kept the snorkle because that's the only one I had, LOL.
    Michael
    “Electricity is really just organized lightning”

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586

Back in the hunt for this snorkel. Here is a pic of my original that I misplaced:FA50F8D0-1572-43E5-B3DB-D26A22A22312.jpg
    George Kehler in Tennessee

1955 356 coupe
    1971 911S (knee deep in restoration)
    1997 993 Targa

So yeah,,, My original snorkel is built just like the one in George's picture. Also, I realized that the mounting tabs are also opposite the non AC snorkel so that the rotation for remove/install works in the opposite direction.

I've also noticed the Mann part numbers on the snorkel are different. Makes sense.

Bottom line??? Correct for an AC car. Purpose built and not cobbled together.
    Michael

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586

Registry member# 206 fourteenten's Avatar

Nope. It's interesting how Mann made the non AC vs the AC snorkels. Non AC are two piece with spot riveted flanges. The Non AC has a welded elbow that is spot welded to a 'rolled' straight section. The straight section is a spot welded lap joint. Here is my snorkel. Well, not mine any more actually,,, It's heading to George's powdercoater.

https://www.early911sregistry.org/fo...67#post1097967
    Michael

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586