Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: April 73 road test Carrera RS

Registry member# 206 fourteenten's Avatar

April 73 road test Carrera RS

Hello,

In this article from April 1973 by Jerry Sloninger two RS's are shown, German license plates LB-ZH 43 and LB-P 500. Any idea which chassis numbers those could be? Can't find anything in my personal records.

Regards,
    Cees
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Cees

LB-P 500 is 9113600082
    I am not certain of the vin of LB-ZH 43. It was white with blue and a non sunroof and looks like a M471 and seems to be assigned assigned to the sales dept (like 0082) given its use in road tests etc. So I THOUGHT that it could have been 9113600119 as that is the only one of 5 M471's assigned to the sales dept that was white with blue. However the car in the photos does not match with the options that 0119 had.

Looking at "factory" cars instead of "sales department" cars there was only one white and blue M471 - 0015 BUT that is the car with the prototype reversed lettering and was registered LEO-ZA 63.There was also the show (RSH) car 0016 LEO-ZA 64. The reverse decals MAY have been changed in time for this article and certainly the lack of options on that car is consistent with the photos. So 0015 MAY be that one BUT the license plate is changed and registered in a different place to the early cars. So I would rule both of those out as well.
    Name:  LB ZH 43.png
Views: 476
Size:  1.64 MB

The ONLY other possibility I can see is 0550, a Homologation car assigned to "factory" use rather than the sales department. The lack of options on the car in the photos is consistent with a homologation car and the only period photo of the car that is supposed to be 0550 that I have is with it on French plates in late 1973 or maybe 1974.

Also it is quite likely that someone like Jerry Sloninger was given a RSH as one of the test cars. It certainly was made in time for the article even allowing for the long lead times involved in those magazines given its completion date is shown as January 1973.

Name:  lb zh.png
Views: 467
Size:  578.1 KB

does anyone recognize the driver in the second photo?
    Hugh Hodges
    73 911E
    Melbourne Australia

Foundation Member #005
    Australian TYP901 Register Inc.

Early S Registry #776

Registry member# 206 fourteenten's Avatar
    Hi Hugh,

Thanks for the info, 0082 is new to me. Does the car still exist?
    0119 was the record car used by von Hanstein with a 2.8 so not sure the factory would allow journalists to test it. If LB-ZH 43 was 0550, was that not the personal car of Gijs van Lennep? No idea who the gentleman is in the second picture.

Regards,
    Cees

Looks like one of the Blues Brothers to me
    Clyde Boyer

1973 2.4E Coupe RHD Aussie 5 speed
    1973 2.4E Coupe RHD Aussie 5 speed my first ever 911 (1995)

Early S Registry Member #294
    First Aussie R Gruppe Member #366
    TYP 901 Register Inc #6

Quote Originally Posted by HughH View Post

The ONLY other possibility I can see is 0550, a Homologation car assigned to "factory" use rather than the sales department. The lack of options on the car in the photos is consistent with a homologation car and the only period photo of the car that is supposed to be 0550 that I have is with it on French plates in late 1973 or maybe 1974.

Also it is quite likely that someone like Jerry Sloninger was given a RSH as one of the test cars. It certainly was made in time for the article even allowing for the long lead times involved in those magazines given its completion date is shown as January 1973.

Name:  lb zh.png
Views: 467
Size:  578.1 KB

does anyone recognize the driver in the second photo?
    Rear quarter window trims are interesting to consider, as is what looks like the 911S front bumper/spoiler.

Re: the driver: While the glasses, collar, and beard don't make it easy to be sure, I don't think that's Jerry. I was blessed to get to know the Slonigers a little bit, and kept in touch with them for many years—visiting them in Sinsheim whenever I was in Stuttgart and able to break away. Something they mentioned one night over dinner is that many of the motion photos were Edie's rather than Jerry's—with the (obvious) giveaway being Jerry rather than Edie at the wheel (she was quite a capable driver as well, and had experience in rallying too). I wonder if this wasn't a friend of his, or perhaps someone from Porsche or Porsche press?

Hi Cees
    I have no record of 0082 post it being a factory car - so dont know of it exists still or not (probably should not say that on a public forum these days in case it encourages someone to suddenly "find it" ) Here is a photo of a cover story. It was the only M471 press fleet car in that color.

Yes 0550 was van Lennep's "personal car" but i suspect that means it was a "company car" issued for his use as all the factory drivers had but that would not have prevented it being used occasionally for other work purposes like a test with a trusted journalist - maybe that is why is is a "factory car' rather than allocated to the "Press dept"

On 0119 yes that was the record car and I did not mention it but it was also registered LB-P 44 - another reason I did not think it was the car in the photos.

i do know that the person in the car is NOT Gijs

Quote Originally Posted by fourteenten View Post
    Hi Hugh,

Thanks for the info, 0082 is new to me. Does the car still exist?
    0119 was the record car used by von Hanstein with a 2.8 so not sure the factory would allow journalists to test it. If LB-ZH 43 was 0550, was that not the personal car of Gijs van Lennep? No idea who the gentleman is in the second picture.

Regards,
    Cees
    Hugh Hodges
    73 911E
    Melbourne Australia

Foundation Member #005
    Australian TYP901 Register Inc.

Early S Registry #776

Quote Originally Posted by BOYER73S View Post
    Looks like one of the Blues Brothers to me
    I can see a couple of 996's in the background. Wow, 996 back in 73.
    S Registry#2021

Cool

Wow, 996 back in 73.
    Maybe not 996's Sean......

The first time I saw this pic was in my Kevin Blick's 'SUPERCAR Porsche 911'

Published 1988 ......

Cheers,
    cm
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Miller View Post
    Maybe not 996's Sean......

The first time I saw this pic was in my Kevin Blick's 'SUPERCAR Porsche 911'

Published 1988 ......

Cheers,
    cm
    Yes.
    I have always liked this picture.
    S Registry#2021

Quote Originally Posted by mrar View Post
    I can see a couple of 996's in the background. Wow, 996 back in 73.
    I think they are traveling away - might be something to do with driving on a different side of the road
    Nick D - Run Flat

1973 RHD 911 Carrera RS #0358 - Fun Car
    2016 Cayenne Diesel - Tow Car
    2017 Macan S - Better Half's Car

1955 356 Speedster SOLD
    1976 911 2.7 SOLD
    2006 Cayman S SOLD
    2006 Cayenne S SOLD
    2008 Carrera S F77 SOLD
    2011 Cayenne S TOTALLED (T-Boned but kept us safe)
    2015 Macan S SOLD
    2015 GT3 - Track Car
    2016 Cayenne SOLD
    2016 Cayenne GTS TOTALLED (Bloody big deer)

Still looking for 1st Edition Carrera RS book #358.

Life is way too short to drive boring cars.