Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: numbers on doors from 911 1972

numbers on doors from 911 1972

My car and at least one more (I understand that much more) has a number on the door, on the inside .. In my case it is the number 44 written in red. Is there any idea what those numbers might be?

Are those the last two digits of the production # stamped into the lower dash frame behind the knee pad and below the radio opening?
    Porsche Historian, contact for Kardex & CoA-type Reports
    Addicted since 1975, ESR mbr# 2200 to 2024 03
    Researching Paint codes and Engine Build numbers

Quote Originally Posted by davep View Post
    Are those the last two digits of the production # stamped into the lower dash frame behind the knee pad and below the radio opening?
    no,These numbers are on the passenger door.

in my vehicle the number does not match any other number of the car.

My car: Name:  WP_20160223_16_58_18_Raw_LI.jpg
Views: 610
Size:  78.7 KBName:  IMG_20190409_215424.jpg
Views: 623
Size:  78.4 KBName:  IMG_20200523_142650.jpg
Views: 618
Size:  91.9 KB

another car:
    Name:  46.jpg
Views: 607
Size:  516.0 KB

*Does anyone know of the existence of 45 or 47?

thanks davep !. Salds

Quote Originally Posted by davep View Post
    The doors on my 70 are original. My passenger door has the number 33 written in black grease pencil. The number is unrelated to both my VIN and production number. My drivers door does not have a similar number marking.

Maybe a production line worker identifying number to know who was working on the car during a particular assembly sequence??
    Michael
    “Electricity is really just organized lightning”

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586

Quote Originally Posted by _gonbau View Post
    Does anyone know of the existence of 45 or 47?
    Just because there is a number written doesn't mean it has some sequential meaning.
    Michael
    “Electricity is really just organized lightning”

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586

Interesting! I did not notice this when I had my '72T apart for paint, but my passenger door has '5' in red grease pencil on it. No number seen in the pictures of the driver's door.

In case it may be relevant, my '72 is early, built 8/71.

Name:  IMG_2133.jpg
Views: 574
Size:  111.6 KB
    - Arne
    Current - 2018 718 Cayman, Rhodium Silver, PDK

Sold - 1972 911T coupe, Silver Metallic; 1984 911 Carrera coupe, Chiffon white; 1973 914 2.0, Saturn Yellow; 1984 944, Silver Metallic

I do not know if they can be sequential or not although my thought leads me to believe that they are! The reason for the number ... I do not know but I have continued looking at other cars for a while to see if I find a relationship! The little I can contribute is an image of my car number in higher resolution! The detail of the color change from black to red is interesting! I have also found red numbers in a S / T Deposit! And I do not know if in some other objects. I understand, the pencil was black to mark things in the 70s and in the 72 it was red? Is there an original 1970 porsche ball with a red creyon?

Do we know if the doors were removed after paint to allow fo easier interior assembly? If so could it be possible the numbers represent something like the “workstation”, or place on the line, where a specific car was being assembled and would need to be reunited with the doors?

I think the doors were painted already bolted on.
    So the number would come after the paint.
    My passenger door has a black 6. Made 10/70.

Current long term ownership: 63 Cab, 71 911, 74 914