Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: numbers on doors from 911 1972

Yes, the doors are painted bolted on BUT are then removed from the car while the car is being assembled and reunited with the car at a later point in the assembly process as documented in this video.

Porsche Production

https://youtu.be/K4AXW4l55T8

It would be interesting to find the largest number on record ... Both in the 70's and in the 72's! Perhaps found "the top" of both, a conclusion is reached ... I have very little of this (the image that I showed of number 46) It is difficult for me to find images with these incripsions because I do not know how to name them when searching apart from that I think, it is a detail to which I do not place much importance over time! We know that there is a 5 and we also know that there is a 46. Why the number on the driver's door? When disassembling the two, they were organized together and the passenger door with the number was exposed for better recognition?

for now we can see that in 70 the wax was black. Would 70 and 72 reach the same high number? I understand that those of 71 also have this number but one piece of information that interests me is ... what is the highest number that we can see? I think that discovering that will help a lot to know if it is a search warrant, a factory line (which I doubt) or an employee number.

Name:  Screenshot_20190728-013231.jpg
Views: 299
Size:  32.0 KB

photo taken from this post:https://www.early911sregistry.org/fo...required/page3

Could that red marker have to do with the numbers on the car doors? It looks like the same crayon.

By the time they got the lwb cars you can see the fenders are painted on the car but the doors aren't attached to the hinges.They are in the position they would be in but aren't attached. This is so you could paint all areas of the door which you couldn't if it was attached with the hinge pins. This is where a lot of painters get it wrong as they paint the fenders off of the car and doors attached to the hinges.
    Quote Originally Posted by targatuesday View Post
    Yes, the doors are painted bolted on BUT are then removed from the car while the car is being assembled and reunited with the car at a later point in the assembly process as documented in this video.

Porsche Production

https://youtu.be/K4AXW4l55T8
    72S, 72T now ST

Quote Originally Posted by _gonbau View Post
    My car: Attachment 551663Attachment 551664Attachment 551665

another car:
    Attachment 551662

*Does anyone know of the existence of 45 or 47?

thanks davep !. Salds

That photo showing 46 is from my car. I imagine that came from my Rennlist build thread Just confirming that this number doesn't correspond to my chassis # or VIN #. Interesting to find out what it corresponds to! My 1972 was built 7/71.
    Bill

Early 911S Registry Member #4087
    Instagram: @myflat6

'72T hotrod 210 0228
    '82SC Targa
    '97C4S (sold - and regretting it)

Quote Originally Posted by myflat6 View Post
    That photo showing 46 is from my car. I imagine that came from my Rennlist build thread Just confirming that this number doesn't correspond to my chassis # or VIN #. Interesting to find out what it corresponds to! My 1972 was built 7/71.
    thanks for that information! I think it was from rennlist but I'm not entirely sure. Asking... How are there other lower numbers... Perhaps that number indicated the total number of cars painted in that color at that time...? It could be?

My Jan. 1972 911 has 58 on the passenger side door.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Bill Cilker, Jr.
    Gold 72 911S
    31 Ford Model A
    PCA, Early S Registry (#98) & RGruppe (#272)
    Rotarian

Quote Originally Posted by WHCJr72S View Post
    My Jan. 1972 911 has 58 on the passenger side door.
    thanks for the image, I would say that it is in the same place as mine. Maybe the same person...
    +
    indeed, all in the same place. I understand looking at the dot after your number, I would say that they are different people.
    It was possible to paint at least 58 vehicles in "gold" in 1972?
    If the vehicles began to be manufactured in the middle of the year... the number 5 on the door dated 8/71. Could it be that this vehicle was the 5th painted in that color since production began? Does anyone have a higher number?
    The door that I published above... without knowing... Is it by chance from the year 74? Is it a two digit number in that year? Indicating year and "number" or should be understood as a single number

Name:  FB2BC7DC-01C8-4A2C-B857-2CF17C570A9B.jpg
Views: 178
Size:  100.6 KB

1971 gold metallic, built in 11/70
    Porsche not karmann

Current long term ownership: 63 Cab, 71 911, 74 914