Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vintage Porsche track days ?

Vintage Porsche track days ?

Anybody else wish there was a club for vintage Porsche track days ?
    Boyd

There is. It's called PCA. Lots of folks hereabouts take vintage Porsches out to DEs. Granted, there are lots more modern high-power cars, but who cares?
    Rich Spritz

1959 BMC Huffaker Mk1 Formula Junior racecar
    1967 Porsche 911 racecar
    1969 Porsche 911T
    1970 Winkelmann WDF2 Formula Ford racecar
    1973 Merlyn Mk24 Formula Ford racecar
    2007 Porsche 997C4 cab (totaled by an idiot running a stop sign)
    2014 Porsche 991 TurboS cab
    2019 Cayman GTS (wife's)

PCGB is having an air cooled day at Castle Combe on 2 September. Apparently it was sold out within six hours of being announced.

I'm lucky enough to have a place so will post some pictures later in the year.
    Simon Webb

1970 911S
    1973 2.7RS
    1975 2.7 Carrera MFI

1977 3.0 Carrera

GRRC Member

Air Cooled Track Day

Quote Originally Posted by raspritz View Post
    There is. It's called PCA. Lots of folks hereabouts take vintage Porsches out to DEs. Granted, there are lots more modern high-power cars, but who cares?
    Good point , but a 500 hp modern machine is a different animal. I guess I’m wondering if there would be a following for something specific to say pre 1980 cars in general ....not just P-cars

Xavier Petit-Jean-Boret Xavier PJB's Avatar
    Do not know in USA, but in EU there is the 2.0 cup from Peter Auto. I know that the Porsche Club Motorsport in here (FR) is thinking about a Porsche Classic series.
    Classic Tribute is building a facility near a race track in FR and plan to have a classic track day (obsiouly dedicated to classic cars) with a series for P-Car only in 2021 (if covid is gone)
    I know it does not help much, but that is a good trend and guess that it will getting more and more popular.

Cheers
    X
    O-G 26 - Early911S 2407

Quote Originally Posted by TB73 View Post
    Good point , but a 500 hp modern machine is a different animal. I guess I’m wondering if there would be a following for something specific to say pre 1980 cars in general ....not just P-cars
    I suspect not enough of a following to be sustainable. Several years ago PCA tried to offer a vintage-specific run group for DE events, and there were very few takers so it was dropped. PCA Club Racing also has a Vintage Group, which struggles to field enough entries. Two days ago I did an open track day, and there were a few older Porsches, plus a Beck 550.

Regarding Xavier's comment above, vintage cars, vintage racing, and automobile racing in general are a much bigger deal in Europe than in the USA. Also, distances are smaller, so people can travel to events fairly easily (caveat the idiotic post-Brexit carnet requirement for the UK). For example, there will be a huge vintage race weekend at the French Historic Grand Prix at Circuit Paul Ricard/Le Castellet just before the F1 there in June. I will be flying to Europe to race my historic BMC Formula Junior there.
    Last edited by raspritz; 05-23-2021 at 08:52 AM.
    Rich Spritz

1959 BMC Huffaker Mk1 Formula Junior racecar
    1967 Porsche 911 racecar
    1969 Porsche 911T
    1970 Winkelmann WDF2 Formula Ford racecar
    1973 Merlyn Mk24 Formula Ford racecar
    2007 Porsche 997C4 cab (totaled by an idiot running a stop sign)
    2014 Porsche 991 TurboS cab
    2019 Cayman GTS (wife's)

Thumbs up

I've run and instructed lately at PCA GPX Region 'Day Away From Work' DE events ....

Low pressure and fun at the small track at Willow Springs (Streets of Willow)

I found it's all about what run group you're in.....

I wrote this up a couple of years ago...:
    https://www.early911sregistry.org/fo...streets+willow
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

PCA Club Racing is trying to build the vintage group. There was a separate race group for the vintage classes at Lime Rock Park club race in late April and it looked like a ball (I was stewarding the race) plus there will be a separate vintage group at Summit Point club race later this summer. At Lime Rock there was a Speedster racing.......first time ever in a PCA CR for the owner/driver. he had a ball and the other drivers gave him (and each other) room
    It's a bit "chicken and egg" problem as region or zone hosts of PCA club races are interested in having a separate vintage group but only if it makes sense financially (read: at least breaks even).
    At my home region DE's (Nord Stern Region in Minnesota) a 356 frequently shows up as well as a 912 plus for several years the "caretaker" of a local car collection showed up and drove the owner's RS60 at speed on the Brainerd race track.
    Our local vintage sanctioning organization runs fun events but without the competition factor as often times shows up at larger events run by the for profit sanctioning bodies (anyone ever notice that 914's are now running faster times than RSR's ran back in the day?!) The local group often times sets an egg timer on the starter stand and when the sand runs down, the next car gets the checkered flag. After all, who cares about winning at this point when simply driving our cars at speed on a race track is victory enough.

Vintage Track Days - small bore

Quote Originally Posted by Boeder View Post
    PCA Club Racing is trying to build the vintage group. There was a separate race group for the vintage classes at Lime Rock Park club race in late April and it looked like a ball (I was stewarding the race) plus there will be a separate vintage group at Summit Point club race later this summer. At Lime Rock there was a Speedster racing.......first time ever in a PCA CR for the owner/driver. he had a ball and the other drivers gave him (and each other) room
    It's a bit "chicken and egg" problem as region or zone hosts of PCA club races are interested in having a separate vintage group but only if it makes sense financially (read: at least breaks even).
    At my home region DE's (Nord Stern Region in Minnesota) a 356 frequently shows up as well as a 912 plus for several years the "caretaker" of a local car collection showed up and drove the owner's RS60 at speed on the Brainerd race track.
    Our local vintage sanctioning organization runs fun events but without the competition factor as often times shows up at larger events run by the for profit sanctioning bodies (anyone ever notice that 914's are now running faster times than RSR's ran back in the day?!) The local group often times sets an egg timer on the starter stand and when the sand runs down, the next car gets the checkered flag. After all, who cares about winning at this point when simply driving our cars at speed on a race track is victory enough.
    I started this thread after watching the Road Scholars invitation only Track Day video Chuck posted recently ( thanks Chuck ) obviously these are all very significant cars . I have 2 M-471 factory prepared cars that are not significant , I have done a few HOD track days ( they do a great job by the way ) but running my 914-6 along with GT3 RS & a Z06 is like being in the GT class at Le Mans ( IÂ’d guess ) . IÂ’m not looking to compete fender to fender with my cars .... anyway seems like something similar to what RS put on would be a great way to be with like cars and like minded car owners on marque tracks
    Boyd

Quote Originally Posted by TB73 View Post
    I started this thread after watching the Road Scholars invitation only Track Day video Chuck posted recently ( thanks Chuck ) obviously these are all very significant cars . I have 2 M-471 factory prepared cars that are not significant , I have done a few HOD track days ( they do a great job by the way ) but running my 914-6 along with GT3 RS & a Z06 is like being in the GT class at Le Mans ( IÂ’d guess ) . IÂ’m not looking to compete fender to fender with my cars .... anyway seems like something similar to what RS put on would be a great way to be with like cars and like minded car owners on marque tracks
    Boyd
    Thanks, TB73
    The purpose of my post was to get information out there about a variety of opportunities for owners of cars similar to yours and mine.
    Unfortunately it looked like the only people who were invited to the RS Track day were owners of "significant" cars.
    Although my car (a 1973 911T that's been a track car for much of its life and currently runs a 2.7 single plug MFI engine) isn't significant, in the sense of pro and/or factory race history, it does have a long history locally and more important, is "significant " to me as it is a really fun car to drive at speed.
    it's all fun, just depends upon the size of your net worth