Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Top 3 tips for building a new 20 car garage

Heated, cooled, dehumidified, rodent proofed, lift, bead blast cabinet, service for welder etc, alarm system, fire suppression system, restroom, and beer refrigerator. Oh and a strong box to store all the stacks of cash you must have!!
    1969 911 E #824

#1 TIP .... It wont be big enough ... better to make it a 25 or even 30 car garage....

I'd heard that there was lots of new money around. I wasn't aware that it was in Baltimore.

First thing I would start with is: What's it for? Is it a storage facility / a workshop / gentlemen's playroom / something else? Do you need a car lift or a big screen TV?

I built a shop at my house with a hang out area.
    It’s 60 wide x 45 deep

Mine was a STAR metal building.

You can aesthetically make them look much nicer than just a metal shop you can trim them out with stone etc. Also make sure you have a good electrical layout , gas, water and hose bibs.

I ran a tankless electric hot water heater with a couple gallon capacity for washing hands etc.

Metal was a fraction of The cost of doing a Stick frame building,
    Google the word Barndominum. You can get some great ideas of what people have done with a metal building in aesthetically how you can build them out. I would highly recommend considering where the sun rises and sets and where you would want to do an awning and a hang out area picnic bench or barbecue area next to the shop.

My shop pencils out to a 10 car garage The capacity increases with lifts. I have three lifts in my shop.

Give 5-7 feet between each car and the outer walls.

On the doors go 20 feet wide not the standard 16ft ones.

I would suggest building a mezzanine over some of parking spots.
    Functional and gives you a chance to have an awesome view while you’re hanging out.

Install a 400 amp panel for power. You can’t have too much available.

Install 4 gang outlets every 10 feet. You will also want to have some outlets in the ceiling that drop down on a extension cord reel so you can have all the cars on battery tenders. If you’ve got 20 cars there’s no way to drive them all and keep them charged

Mine is a work shop I don’t know if yours is parking only?

Build a compressor room out of the shop to reduce noise.
    Check out the rapid air hose product. You can stub out manifolds to hook in the airlines to air up all your tires or whatever else you’re gonna do.

Run some of the power to a plug in on of the shop for the compressor and for a welder.

Run power to the ceiling for fans. I have a Macro Air 14 foot fan.

If your in rural Area look into a propane tank for a gas heater “commercial grade” Or if you’re in town see if you have a natural gas hook up to run a heater.

Use a min of R19 insulation R38 if you have room in the walls with a radiant barrier.

Not sure if you’re in a residential or commercial area but make sure you’ve got access to run Internet lines into the shop for Wi-Fi etc. That way you can run an audio video receiver and play tunes in the shop with you also want to layout speakers as well.

Also make sure you’ve got access for a good alarm system and cameras and fire Sprinkler system
    I would reccomend a poly espartic epoxy floor. Don’t do the multi flex paint chips you will not be able to find a bolt of you drop it.

If you can swing it put in a channel drain inside so you can wash cars inside with access to hot water .

If you are putting in lifts 4 post work great for storage and their are some that are two cars wide to double the capacity.

You’ll need to know the layout of your lifts to make sure that the concrete is adequate thickness where you will be putting them in advance. You will also want to drop in electrical from the ceiling for the lifts.

Pm me if you have questions. I am OCD and planned mine out for many months before I broke ground

Name:  ACB6477E-3DB9-472E-9E42-F0D0B231DADE.jpg
Views: 309
Size:  117.8 KB

Name:  5EE6F68B-463E-42AB-80C4-9CF1F10CA821.jpg
Views: 242
Size:  56.0 KB

Name:  0F0A3E44-5B04-4664-A372-265356AE5F15.jpg
Views: 263
Size:  115.9 KB

Name:  16EA23BE-EB43-4C64-939E-2C54237F91F2.jpg
Views: 272
Size:  104.9 KB

Name:  5E86818F-D681-4CE6-9F20-096CE40BFF4C.jpg
Views: 272
Size:  135.5 KB
    Early 911S Registry Member #3767

Current:
    2010 GT3 Meteor Grey, Carbon Seats and Ceramic Brakes
    1968 911T Targa, Polo Red, Recaro Sport Seats, Deep Fuchs
    1972 911 ST Recreation (Work in Progress) 3.4L Hot Rod
    1983 911SC Bone Stock. Grand Prix White with Sport Seats

You'll be thankful to have enclosed a portion of the shop for "dirty" work: Sanding, painting, etc. Install a suction fan to induce negative air pressure, discharging outdoors. Large enough for at least a couple cars. A permanently walled-off area is best but something as simple as a welding curtain beats nothing at all.

I need to stop reading this thread. I have the space on my half acre of land in Solana Beach CA to add an additional 1,500 SF of building area. Trying to get approvals from the planning department has been a 2 year nightmare. I just want a freestanding 2 car area with some work/hang out space. I’ll bet my permits and required items (like onsite water retention for all the runoff I’ll create!) will exceed what you require for a 20 car garage. You’d think I was asking for permits to build a nuclear power plant….welcome to coastal California.
    Nick Psyllos
    S Reg & R Gruppe
    1973 Euro 911S
    1972 911T to ST