Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reventlow 911 paperwork appeal

Reventlow 911 paperwork appeal

Hi all

I thought I'd post this appeal here as the knowledge and support of this forum and its members is unsurpassed!

I'm the current custodian of Mozart the ex-Reventlow 1972 911:
    https://www.early911sregistry.org/fo...ight=Reventlow

It's a pretty special car with a fascinating history, one which we hope to add too now that its restoration is complete:
    https://www.ddk-online.com/phpBB2/vi...p?f=28&t=65827

Since purchasing the car I have befriended its former owners (it's only had three including Lance Reventlow RIP) who have helped me catalogue its history. Richard Reventlow (Lance's half brother) was responsible for the initial build which is detailed in the two threads above.

Richard had catalogued his written correspondence with the factory when planning the build and notes from his visits and meetings with Helmuth Bott and others. There was one (possibly two) folders of correspondence and invoices that Richard had stored with the car when he left it with Grady Clay and moved back to Europe in the early 80's. Greg and Wendy Volan bought the car in 1985 and I have a copy of a letter between Richard and Greg regarding the handover as there were a number of spares that went with it, but Grady didn't want to part with the cars original narrow Fuchs and the documentation file was missing.

I understand that at some point there was a fire in Grady's shop and most of its contents were destroyed but Frank Barrett found Richards handwritten parts notes in Grady's library, when he purchased its contents from his family after Grady's passing. Strangely enough there were two invoices from Richards ownership in Greg's paperwork file
    Name:  IMG_0283 (002).jpg
Views: 819
Size:  79.6 KB
    This gives me hope that the documentation folders weren't in his shop at the time of the fire. I guess at the time the invoices and correspondence would have been in German and wouldn't have been of much use or value so might have been loaned out as interesting trinkets or even thrown away?

Anyway, on the far fetched chance that anyone in this community has come across Porsche or other correspondence or invoices addressed to Richard from 1972 and 1973 I would be very grateful for even a copy or knowledge of its whereabouts.

Stay safe,

Niall
    Too many cars..

I can help with the Troutman and Barnes invoice.
    Grady found it among some other unrelated papers circa summer 2005.
    Shortly thereafter, Grady and I were due to meet some other folks in Boulder,
    so Grady invited Greg to join us and handed over the invoice over lunch.
    There was no discussion of any other files at that time.

Sorry, I cant help with the Ginther invoice.

Good luck with your search.
    Joe Frantz
    73 911t
    Registry #1265

Thanks Joe. That's great to know as we couldn't figure out how Greg had these two invoices but not the rest of the documentation that they should have been with. Fingers crossed more clues to the puzzle will surface!
    Too many cars..

I like the $12 per hour on the Troutman invoice.

Best of luck with this Niall.......such an incredible car and original build, would be wonderful to see a few things turn up.

Btw.....how does it drive?

Hi Darren
    With the lockdown here I haven't had a chance to drive it properly. I have an 'essential journey' tomorrow to bring another car for an NCT (your MOT equivalent) and plan to swap cars after and drive Mozart home. Can't wait!
    Too many cars..

Hi All, just giving this thread a bump in case there might be anyone else out there with some leads or related stories?
    Thanks
    Niall
    Too many cars..

Good luck, and happy St-Patrick's day

I quote the VIN of your car to help to find it, 9112200772.
    Very interesting car, by the way.

Merci, and many happy returns!
    Too many cars..

Just giving this a bump as it appears that the paperwork for the cancelled 'Reventow R' is in these files..
    Too many cars..