Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: LSD80% VS LSD40% M220 "Factory"

how many 911 got in 1972 LSD? Many? Few? 50? 100? Just to confirm. I have found a document in this post where he quotes LSD at 80% with the extra number m220. Until recently I had thought that "Basic" LSD was 40 ...Name:  80.jpg
Views: 475
Size:  95.6 KB

https://www.early911sregistry.org/fo...om-ESSES/page2

Yes, this is good confirmation of the 80% nature of the LSD.
    However please be careful of reading this price list. Below the 220 there are unlisted options for the 5 speed transmission, and the Sportomatic. The list does NOT indicate that there are 3 options for the LSD that include one for the Sportomatic; to my knowledge, there was never an LSD for the Sportomatic. The option for the 5 speed was an upgrade from 4 speed to 5 speed. The option for the Sportomatic was an upgrade from 4 speed to Sportomatic.
    Porsche Historian, contact for Kardex & CoA-type Reports
    Addicted since 1975, ESR mbr# 2200 to 2024 03
    Researching Paint codes and Engine Build numbers

This document shows that the LSd built into that vehicle is 60%! that data ... where was it obtained? Was it noted on the sheet next to the options?
    Name:  cc.jpg
Views: 446
Size:  63.9 KB

https://www.early911sregistry.org/fo...der-extensions

As delivered by the factory you would expect 80%. They can be adjusted lower than 80%. I have never heard of a factory 60% setting, so assume that has a typographical error. That car was certainly modified before delivery.

Quote Originally Posted by davep View Post
    As delivered by the factory you would expect 80%. They can be adjusted lower than 80%. I have never heard of a factory 60% setting, so assume that has a typographical error. That car was certainly modified before delivery.
    Thanks Davep! I will "take" it as a typographical error ... but many errors ... in many documents******not about this vehicle! I speak in general ...******! By the way, about this vehicle the 9112301179. Why was the front bumper changed? It makes you think that before it had an aspect more similar to the RS and then not. What did they rely on to make that change? Is there a historical photo of this vehicle?

Name:  d52dc449e4.jpg
Views: 370
Size:  76.0 KBName:  af62bf7f71.jpg
Views: 387
Size:  77.1 KB
    http://www.finecars.cc/en/detail/car/25883/index.html

http://www.finecars.cc/en/detail/car/25883/index.html
    Name:  descarga (1).jpg
Views: 394
Size:  8.5 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by _gonbau; 07-02-2021 at 05:47 AM.

I was reading more on LSD's recently, and apparently there was a short period in 1985 & 86 where the internals of the LSD were changed and the number of friction plates was halved. These were only 40%, and far less effective than the earlier versions even when they were set up for 40%. These 85/86 LSD's became known as "snow only" LSD's due to their lack of benefits. Thereafter new designs came out that had asymmetrical ramps and thus had two slip percentage factors (for acceleration and deceleration). These new designs allow an LSD to be designed or adjusted for many different situations. Combined with engine management and suspension design these new LSD's have had a dramatic effect on lap times.
    The 85/86 LSD's can now be upgraded by replacing the one pair of discs per side with 2 pair that are half thickness; this allows both 40% and 80% setups to be configured.
    My understanding is that the 80% configuration was standard prior to 1985, but a 40% configuration could be requested as a special wish.

Quote Originally Posted by _gonbau View Post
    Thanks Davep! I will "take" it as a typographical error ... but many errors ... in many documents******not about this vehicle! I speak in general ...******! By the way, about this vehicle the 9112301179. Why was the front bumper changed? It makes you think that before it had an aspect more similar to the RS and then not. What did they rely on to make that change? Is there a historical photo of this vehicle?
    ]
    You can’t assume that the marketing write up to hype a car for sale is accurate. There is no mention of the time frame between taking delivery of a ‘72S and converting it to a RS look. Certainly, the RS was already being shown to the public for the ‘73 model year but, one needs to know when the RS bits were available to customers over the counter.
    Michael
    “Electricity is really just organized lightning”

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586

Quote Originally Posted by davep View Post
    Yes, this is good confirmation of the 80% nature of the LSD.
    However please be careful of reading this price list. Below the 220 there are unlisted options for the 5 speed transmission, and the Sportomatic. The list does NOT indicate that there are 3 options for the LSD that include one for the Sportomatic; to my knowledge, there was never an LSD for the Sportomatic. The option for the 5 speed was an upgrade from 4 speed to 5 speed. The option for the Sportomatic was an upgrade from 4 speed to Sportomatic.

I would say that the information from 40% to 80% is from this forum, I mean. Where I have learned about LSD has been here, now that I am clear that LSD came out at 80% of the factory ... I will look for if there is any publication that cites 40%. I investigated how LSD worked in my own way ... in a very basic way I understood that it has some "separating discs", changing these you changed the percentage ... It doesn't seem like a very complicated job but what do we know about it? To make a% change. How many hours of workshop would it take? Was it something that would change (in the case of a race car) between races?
    fck traductor google

Quote Originally Posted by 70SATMan View Post
    You can’t assume that the marketing write up to hype a car for sale is accurate. There is no mention of the time frame between taking delivery of a ‘72S and converting it to a RS look. Certainly, the RS was already being shown to the public for the ‘73 model year but, one needs to know when the RS bits were available to customers over the counter.
    there is another 911S that has bits from the 73RS! The one with the two grills in the back ... That 911230 ... also said it "had research pieces" from the RS. But it was never clear to me if that car was the original since I also saw another photo of a similar vehicle ...
    Name:  rsprto9112301566.jpg
Views: 353
Size:  80.8 KB

40% 220

Name:  40.jpg
Views: 335
Size:  94.6 KB

that would be 10 before what you say Davep!

+

https://www.early911sregistry.org/fo...-Numbers/page3
    Last edited by _gonbau; 07-09-2021 at 01:57 PM.