Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Show me your MFI aircleaner alternatives

Show me your MFI aircleaner alternatives

I hope this isn't redundant, but I couldn't find any similar threads. Over the years I have seen a number of options to the stock MFI aircleaner and snorkel although most of these were in racecars. For the most part if my memory serves me correctly...the ITG triples and single foam filters are what I have seen the most, but there certainly are a miriad of choices out there. For the purists, the factory aircleaner configuration is more than satisfactory. But apparently there are some among us that like to "go against the grain" at times. It would be interesting to have a resource that chronicles the aircleaner options for those of us that might head down that path. Let 'er rip.....
    registry# 1283

Thumbs up

Subscribed !!!!
    Think'n about this for years ....
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Many years ago I did a dyno comparison and found that the stock air cleaner/box is worth some horsepower over something not stock or even over slapping a foam or paper filter over the stacks. It seems as if the air flow inside the box has something to do with HP.
    I would bet that Porsche did some aero work way back in the day.

K&N shorts, with rain shield, adapted to the MFI stacks. Better breathing (70+ rpm) and awesome sound.

Name:  L1020886.jpg
Views: 897
Size:  109.4 KB
    1972 911E Targa, Mostly Original
    2002 Porsche 996 C4 Cabriolet
    2005 Turbo-converted MINI Cooper S

While I don’t doubt that the stock filter is better than any aftermarket options, is sure does hide a lot of an interesting engine. I don’t think that most of us would notice any drop in power from something like we see for the Weber’s. Sure, you would loose the ability to set your car on fire with the stock cold start system, but who still uses that “accident waiting to happen”. I’m surprised no one has offered up an aluminum set. Seems like their would be a market.
    1969 911S
    1969 Datsun 2000...worth less, but more valuable

Aluminium cut plates. K & N filters and ebay springs.

Name:  20190629_162239.jpg
Views: 808
Size:  81.4 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Obviously breathing (flow) is important to maximum hp at high revs but, Porsche knew what they were doing with the stock cleaner and snorkel for the street engines. Expansion and acceleration of the air through the shape of the snorkel results in cooler air temps into the mixture which has a greater impact on the total ponies achievable. Also, pulling that air from the lowest practicable points in the engine bay helps the air temp in that regard as well.
    Michael
    “Electricity is really just organized lightning”

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586

Member #226 R Gruppe Life Member #147
    Here are my two. 73 with no intake preheat, and 914-6 snorkel. And our Outlaw with ITG’s
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Quote Originally Posted by 70SATMan View Post
    Obviously breathing (flow) is important to maximum hp at high revs but, Porsche knew what they were doing with the stock cleaner and snorkel for the street engines. Expansion and acceleration of the air through the shape of the snorkel results in cooler air temps into the mixture which has a greater impact on the total ponies achievable. Also, pulling that air from the lowest practicable points in the engine bay helps the air temp in that regard as well.
    Exactly !!!! Every additional degree in temperature is a loss of hp.

Quote Originally Posted by 911int View Post
    Exactly !!!! Every additional degree in temperature is a loss of hp.
    Couldn't agree more. But in our cars, which have two large radiators at the low point and then the cylinders in the middle, the coolest air may actually be at the top at the engine grill. In the perfect world the snorkel would have been fed by a grill in the fender or something.
    Early 911S Registry # 2395
    1973 Porsche 911S in ivory white 5sp MT
    2015 Porsche Macan S in agate grey 7sp PDK