Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 17 of 17

Thread: 1967 911 Coupe - Replacing front & rear windshield seals

  1. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Victoria BC Canada
    Posts
    61
    Another related question for this discussion: What is the process for test fitting the new seals and anodized mouldings to ensure correct fitment on final installation?
    Cheers,

    Jones...
    early S # 2626
    '71 911T
    '68 Peugeot 204
    '65 Mustang (sold after 32 years)
    1922 Wills Sainte Claire

  2. #12
    I can attest to the value of the OEM Porsche seals ordered directly form Porsche. I've replaced
    so many seals... in dozens of 911's. OEM is the only way to go. With aftermarket you will CURSE
    the entire install process... and attempt the installation possibly 6 times and not be successful.
    There will be gaps, the rubber won't seat "right"... to where it looks good. Let alone seal potential
    outwater. Then you risk breaking your windshield every extra minute of working on it.

  3. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Jones View Post
    Another related question for this discussion: What is the process for test fitting the new seals and anodized mouldings to ensure correct fitment on final installation?
    You don't test fit the seals,,,,what you do test fit however is the aluminum trim. If it isn't perfect the glass doesn't fit right and the trim will try to pull out of the rubber, especially in corners. I lay the trim in the windshield opening and make it fit the frame opening perfectly, not only in plan view ,but also in twist mode, ie. the barb that fits into the rubber groove must be perpendicular to the rubber. Usually the trim is bent up by careless removal, the trick is to never touch the trim, you remove the rubber from around the trim barb, you DON'T pull the trim from the rubber. And by the way, even new trim will arrive bent!!
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

  4. #14
    Senior Member 911kiwi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand. And Los Angeles, USA.
    Posts
    663
    Quote Originally Posted by edmayo View Post
    You don't test fit the seals,,,,what you do test fit however is the aluminum trim. If it isn't perfect the glass doesn't fit right and the trim will try to pull out of the rubber, especially in corners. I lay the trim in the windshield opening and make it fit the frame opening perfectly, not only in plan view ,but also in twist mode, ie. the barb that fits into the rubber groove must be perpendicular to the rubber. Usually the trim is bent up by careless removal, the trick is to never touch the trim, you remove the rubber from around the trim barb, you DON'T pull the trim from the rubber. And by the way, even new trim will arrive bent!!
    I’m absolutely agree & am pleased that this has been highlighted. Often not enough attention is paid to forming the trims prior to fitting the windshield & has to be attempted during the installation, which is far from ideal. It’s well worth the effort for an easy install & an excellent result.
    Kiwi
    1972 911S
    1967 912
    1959 356A Conv D
    Early S Registry # 306

  5. #15
    Like Ed, I pre-fit the trim. Once installed a little hardwood block into which I sanded the same radius and a thin putty knife allow for final massaging

  6. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Victoria BC Canada
    Posts
    61
    Quote Originally Posted by edmayo View Post
    You don't test fit the seals,,,,what you do test fit however is the aluminum trim. If it isn't perfect the glass doesn't fit right and the trim will try to pull out of the rubber, especially in corners. I lay the trim in the windshield opening and make it fit the frame opening perfectly, not only in plan view ,but also in twist mode, ie. the barb that fits into the rubber groove must be perpendicular to the rubber. Usually the trim is bent up by careless removal, the trick is to never touch the trim, you remove the rubber from around the trim barb, you DON'T pull the trim from the rubber. And by the way, even new trim will arrive bent!!
    Quote Originally Posted by 911kiwi View Post
    Iím absolutely agree & am pleased that this has been highlighted. Often not enough attention is paid to forming the trims prior to fitting the windshield & has to be attempted during the installation, which is far from ideal. Itís well worth the effort for an easy install & an excellent result.
    Quote Originally Posted by 718RSK View Post
    Like Ed, I pre-fit the trim. Once installed a little hardwood block into which I sanded the same radius and a thin putty knife allow for final massaging
    Thanks Fellas, I appreciate your insight... I'm a ways away from this task, but I'll be more confident in doing the job when I get to it.
    Cheers,

    Jones...
    early S # 2626
    '71 911T
    '68 Peugeot 204
    '65 Mustang (sold after 32 years)
    1922 Wills Sainte Claire

  7. #17
    The trim corners pop out with aftermarket seals.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Message Board Disclaimer and Terms of Use
This is a public forum. Messages posted here can be viewed by the public. The Early 911S Registry is not responsible for messages posted in its online forums, and any message will express the views of the author and not the Early 911S Registry. Use of online forums shall constitute the agreement of the user not to post anything of religious or political content, false and defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise to violate the law and the further agreement of the user to be solely responsible for and hold the Early 911S Registry harmless in the event of any claim based on their message. Any viewer who finds a message objectionable should contact us immediately by email. The Early 911S Registry has the ability to remove objectionable messages and we will make every effort to do so, within a reasonable time frame, if we determine that removal is necessary.