Thread: 2.0 Ignition timing at idle

2.0 Ignition timing at idle

A bit stupid question but advice is much appreciated: my 2.0 have electronic 123 distributor and I quite like those dizzies. Its otherwise fully rebuild stock 66' 2.0 but with Solex cams, that 123 distributor, NOS S-pistons and SSI's, and running on Shell V-power which is european 98 octane fuel with max 5% ethanol (AFAIK, same as 93 in US).

Factory igition timing settings are (at idle) max 5 deg ATC for E/L, and min 5 deg BTC for S-engine.
    What would be recommended idle timing in my case?
    I'm running on stock 2.0 E/L dist curve, changing to 2.0S dist curve takes basicly no time whatsoever. Would you recommend, to use E/L-curve or S-curve?

I'm not aiming for max power, purely setting what would be nice to drive and safe setting for engine in a fully restored car.

Thank you!
    - Ville -

1967 911 Slate Grey/red, fully restored + 66' "r-ish" hotrod project

The S curve might be safer as it limits total advance.

Great, thank you!
    Would you recommend on that case factory S-engine settings at idle (min 5 deg TDC)?
    - Ville -

And to add: My carbs are not yet adjusted but seems that if I use close to 5 deg BTC, engine starts to idle in most cases (after higher revs) around 1500rpm when hot insted of idle revs. And nothing in linkage is sticking and new Webers.
    If I use close to 5 deg ATC, they drop to idle revs when hot but its sluggish to start when hot and feeling that it slightly hesitates below 2000rpm when acceleraring.
    But I of course need to set up carbs first.
    - Ville -

912->911 conversion
    I think you are homing in on the secret - with the 123 you can set idle timing to get a smooth idle, and then adjust your curve to limit your total advance. I'm kind of in the same boat as you - I recently installed a 123 and am still fine tuning my carbs as well. So I am working through the permutations to get good idle, remove hesitation and limit total advance to stop from blowing up the engine!
    Keith Adams
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada
    Early 911S Registry #906 | PCA member IG: @912R
    1969 Blutorange 912R - 912 to 911 conversion
    1969 Mercedes 280 SE (W111) Coupe

I currently have that ”simple” model 123 Distributor, you can only select pre-set curves. Should have gone to bluetooth or USB version instead where you can fully program it, would have been only marginally more expensive but I though that pre-set curves are easiest in pretty stock engine. But will test different settings next week again when I have time for it.
    - Ville -