Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gtr 718

Gtr 718

Are there images of restorations of these vehicles?

gtr718coupe (1).jpg
    1200px-1963-05-19_Porsche_nach_Phil_Hills_Unfall.jpg

and I take advantage and ask. What is in the supplementary headlights ... Are they protective? Or was the lampshade of the lighthouse black?

+

It is not the first competition vehicle that I see, it has the headlights integrated in the body unlike its "street model" ... this was due to give more "resistance" in case of accidents etc? Or was it something aerodynamic ...?
    Last edited by _gonbau; 06-20-2021 at 04:14 AM.

These are horns, not lamps

What are the horns for? it's such an unusual placement, I guess, but I have seen rally cars with the red trumpet horns out the front openings. or bolted to the hoods...
    I just hadn't thought about how significant the horn could be in some racing.

Were they to warn other racers to get out of the way?
    Or blow before a blind corner?
    They are in such a bold location. So prominent.
    Maybe they would blow them like mad at livestock and sheep in their path.
    Last edited by Scott A; 06-20-2021 at 02:36 PM.

Current long term ownership: 63 Cab, 71 911, 74 914

gtr.jpg
    1963_027.jpg
    1963_30[2].jpg
    otro.
    5b7c5cd299d6d1e3891783e3e8a9078b.jpg
    +
    EMFfEBuX0AIHAmw.jpg
    autowp.ru_porsche_718_gtr_coupe_2.jpg
    1961-le-mans-porsche-no30.jpg

ˇAlgo transparente de altavoces por supuesto!

"1963 Targa Florio winner: 718 GTR, Jo Bonnier/Carlo Maria Abate. Note the black horns installed in the nose instead of the additional lamps. They were used to warn and "clean" the road ahead."
    https://www.stuttcars.com/porsche-models/718/gtr/

the horns were changed for headlights and vice versa?
    Last edited by _gonbau; 06-20-2021 at 10:54 AM.

Perhaps they used the front part of horns to protect the lights?
    82923534-50A5-4042-9DDF-8D12F33E463A.jpg

I would think so! although the article says that they were horns .. I find it hard to believe!
    thanks for the photo "! I had not found a similar one

increasing the resolution artificially ... you can see the detail that the "headlight" apart from the "protector" has the chrome frame. Therefore I think they are lighthouses.
    gtr718coupe FALSE RESOLUTION.jpg

Where did the horns come from? Other porsches rode it?
    Last edited by _gonbau; 06-21-2021 at 05:54 AM.

To me. It's becoming more clear that horns on a rallye car, can make a difference if you finish the race or not.
    The article wrote, horns used to "clear the road ahead"... There was a lot to crash into...people.... more people...and animals as big as an ox.
    So get some loud horns on there.
    Those are basic 356 horns. And they have to bolt to something. And might need a little space to vibrate. My 356 has them on a bolt/lever/spring thing.

The Targa Florio article also states, the year before the same car was red. To make it look like a car from Italy. Because people would throw rocks at a silver car from post-war Germany.

Current long term ownership: 63 Cab, 71 911, 74 914

s-l1600.jpg

1018352397-LAT-19630505-18561.jpg

In this image, by zooming I can "check" that it is a horn, but what about the other images? Did you adapt for different circumstances?