Thread: 1970 911S Hood compartment color

1970 911S Hood compartment color

Hello to everybody. been registered for a few years but never really posted. I'm finally getting my hands again on my dad's 911 after several years that has been parked in a friend's garage after my dad's passing and since he really loved this car I want to make sure it is just as good and correct as it can.

Here's my question for whomever will be so kind to pitch in and share his knowledge with me. I'm trying to understand the correct color that should be in the hood compartment. The car had been partially restored in the 90s and the only image I have of the compartment is one with an angle and a light that would make me think was originally blue but I simply couldn't tell. The whole question deal is because in the early 2000s my father had the car get a certification from the Italian historical auto moto club and the person that inspected it had noted that the color should be black. Since I'm not completely sold on this and since the car is now at the body shop to fix a couple of scratches I might as well have the area painted correctly if it needs to be black vs/body color.

Pictures of the area of original survivors would be greatly appreciated.

Alex

depends on where it was built and probably also on the exterior colour.. here`s 4 examples i had in house...

left is karm. right is porsche

you probably can find traces of black on your car if it ever was black

what about the engine compartment and floor on yours?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Hi Moito, thanks for replying to me. So I know the color is 8484 metallic blue (color code 324?). I'm not close to the car and for some reason I can't find a picture of the tag that if I remember right says (correct me if I'm remembering wrong) if it was a Karmann or not. The floorboards are black and the engine compartment I believe is black as well.

In 1970 the trunk was body color, unless it was built by Karmann then it was black, but I don't believe Karmann built 'S's .
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Quote Originally Posted by edmayo View Post
    In 1970 the trunk was body color, unless it was built by Karmann then it was black, but I don't believe Karmann built 'S's .
    Agree with Ed. I don't know of any Karman built Esses. Body color in the trunk but, lightly sprayed, almost overspray look. Engine compartment is brush applied black over body color. Likely applied at the same time as the undercarriage strips along the rockers and wheel wells.
    Michael
    “Electricity is really just organized lightning”

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586

Original Trunk Finish

Quote Originally Posted by autogatto View Post
    . . . trying to understand the correct color that should be in the hood compartment . . .

. . . Pictures of the area of original survivors would be greatly appreciated
    . . .
    Here's some shots of 9110301353 --- aka 'the 700-mile S' . . .
    https://www.early911sregistry.org/fo...l=1#post442264

My car 's not handy but the trunk finish looks more like 'over-spray' vs actual/proper paint. There's also a liberal amount of what I call 'tar-slap' applied to the tops of the shock mounts. Then there's also what looks an awful lot like contact cement smeared on the inner fenders --- to keep the trunk carpet from moving around too much, I guess

Very decorous . . . and almost always sanitized/restored/cleaned/defiled = missing at some point

And wait 'till you look inside the 'smuggler's box' . . .
    https://www.early911sregistry.org/fo...ow+smuggler%27

. . . yeeechhh!

PS . . . WAY more OG-ness, here . . .
    https://www.early911sregistry.org/fo...highlight=show

Attached Images Attached Images   

We Can Be Heroes

I've seen base coat only used in the front compartment, gets close to that thin dry look of the original cars that were body color up there
    Tom F.

'67 911S Slate Gray
    '70 911T 2.8 hotrod (in progress)
    '92 964