Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is there a fix for wobbly seatbacks on Recaro sport seats?

Is there a fix for wobbly seatbacks on Recaro sport seats?

The original Recaro's in my 1970 911 have always had wobbly backrests. At the top of the backrest (where the headrest attaches) there is close to an inch of play in the front-to-back plane if you grab it with your hand and rock the backrest. Clunk-clunk, clunk-clunk. Both seats have identical play. Both are in great shape and never damaged and have been like this for years. The other day I removed the passenger seat and took the recliner mechanism cover off and everything looks undamaged and unworn in there. These seats have double-locker sliders and a recline mechanism on one side only, the other is just a thick metal tab and circlip.

Inside the recline mechanism, the only place I can see the wobble originating is in the circular gearbox that is disengaged by the recline knob. Could the gears in there really get that worn? It doesn't seem likely, as the wobble is present no matter what angle of recline you set the seatback (i.e. it can't be one or two worn teeth). I stole the pic below from ebay but the arrow points to the gearbox.

I can't believe they were like this new. It's really annoying -- every time I get in the car and sit down, the seatback clunks. One of those things that bugs you every time you drive.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I went to look at my seats.
    They seem to do just what you describe.
    And they are in really good shape.

I can't see any way to work out the play.

I once thought too, these are pretty clunky.
    But once I am in them.... they push back and are fine.
    Last edited by Scott A; 06-25-2021 at 11:09 AM.

Current long term ownership: 63 Cab, 71 911, 74 914

I have a couple sets and they behave the exact same way.

I have the same probs in my cars with comfort seats. Unfortunatly in my case (you can argue I m too tall for those cars, LOL) the seat backs tend to fold back further under stress. Not very funny with kids sitting in the rear compartment.

There are two spings that loose tension after several years. You might degrease the clunking by replacing the large spring, so that the tension/force that pushes the gear (red arrow) to the teeth of upper hinge part increases.
    If the backs fold further under stress, the wheel shaft might be worn or the tension of the small spring is to weak.

Hello,
    the springs could be one reason, sometimes it's also the screws. I had something like this and repaired the thread in the seat and it improved..... I would suggest to grease the whole system and consider some "fresh" springs.

In Germany you can get some replacement Springs on Ebay...

https://www.ebay.de/itm/324486968743...cAAOSw8w1X2amI

Quote Originally Posted by Noah View Post
    The original Recaro's in my 1970 911 have always had wobbly backrests. At the top of the backrest (where the headrest attaches) there is close to an inch of play in the front-to-back plane if you grab it with your hand and rock the backrest. Clunk-clunk, clunk-clunk. Both seats have identical play. Both are in great shape and never damaged and have been like this for years. The other day I removed the passenger seat and took the recliner mechanism cover off and everything looks undamaged and unworn in there. These seats have double-locker sliders and a recline mechanism on one side only, the other is just a thick metal tab and circlip.

Inside the recline mechanism, the only place I can see the wobble originating is in the circular gearbox that is disengaged by the recline knob. Could the gears in there really get that worn? It doesn't seem likely, as the wobble is present no matter what angle of recline you set the seatback (i.e. it can't be one or two worn teeth). I stole the pic below from ebay but the arrow points to the gearbox.

I can't believe they were like this new. It's really annoying -- every time I get in the car and sit down, the seatback clunks. One of those things that bugs you every time you drive.
    Hallo, in case your recliner looks like this in the picture then you have the wrong one of a serial seat mounted on your sport seats. This will not work correctly and with the result you mention.

Best

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by 911int View Post
    Hallo, in case your recliner looks like this in the picture then you have the wrong one of a serial seat mounted on your sport seats.
    Standard (comfort) seats were also produced by recaro, so I guess he refers to his recaro seats, no sport seats.

Quote Originally Posted by 911int View Post
    Hallo, in case your recliner looks like this in the picture then you have the wrong one of a serial seat mounted on your sport seats. This will not work correctly and with the result you mention.

Best

Michael
    If you read closely in the original post, you will see that he pulled the image from the net, and is using the image as a reference only... still referring to that same part on a sport seat recliner.

E

Quote Originally Posted by Soterik View Post
    If you read closely in the original post, you will see that he pulled the image from the net, and is using the image as a reference only... still referring to that same part on a sport seat recliner.

E
    Hallo I think you are right, everybody has to read the text carefully "These seats have double-locker sliders and a recline mechanism on one side only, the other is just a thick metal tab and circlip." And he wrote : "and took the recliner mechanism cover off". Never saw a cover on a sport seat recliner.

Best
    Last edited by 911int; 06-25-2021 at 07:58 AM.

Besides, the wobbling has nothing to do with the springs. Their job is to prevent falling back of the backrest after unlocking the backrest and to bring it back upwards. After the recliner locks, the springs are at that moment " out of order ".