Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Vehicles with denomination E "xx"

Vehicles with denomination E "xx"

Since when is there evidence of the use of the E for the denomination of the "prototypes" or "cars for the company"? I speak in reference to the E42 for example. This practice of labeling these vehicles with the E since what year is it practiced (records ??)? Is there a list of these vehicles? In the file there is a list with those vehicles or have the E "XX" been compiled thanks to the investigation of forums like this one? Is there any document that shows the E "XX" designation? I don't recall seeing any or paying attention to detail! I read a very good explanation about this I believe in the post "ultimate S / T" ...

do you have links to any references of E "XX"

There are lots of prototypes, and most had VIN # in the 13xxx range or the multiple series of 3x0yyy, but I don't know about E "XX".
    Porsche Historian, contact for Kardex & CoA-type Reports
    Addicted since 1975, ESR mbr# 2200 to 2024 03
    Researching Paint codes and Engine Build numbers

hello davep thanks for your answer, the name E is a factory annotation "I think" to name a particular vehicle without anything related to the chassis number! I think that "the limousine type porsche" was also an E. I'm going to look for references but I hope that with the explanation you know which ones I mean!

https://www.early911sregistry.org/fo...+Florio+Winner

+

the data on the "limousine" is wrong. It was not an E in the limousine case it was the 1970 C20.

+
    I must understand that for
    1968 A "XX"
    1969 B "XX"
    1970 C "XX"
    1971 D "XX"
    1972 E "XX"
    ¿?Correct?¿

1969 b17 pinfarrina
    https://www.4legend.com/2017/porsche...vraies-places/
    Name:  a (2).jpg
Views: 763
Size:  17.1 KB

... Maybe the letter followed the alphabetical order but I It is interesting to know if there is any list.
    total911.com/stretched-porsche-911-surprises-at-2016-goodwood-revival/

Name:  198008.jpg
Views: 791
Size:  73.6 KB

+
    E40 1972

"there are historical documents showing that the original Zasada car a `1972 911S with the vin number 911 230 0769 and production number 1023900 and internal factory designation of E40 (all of the cars for internal use also had a special factory code with the E signifying an E series car (1972MY) and presumably the 40 standing for the 40th internal test or press or competition car in that model year) is also (and since December 1972) known as 911 360 0001

In addition the internal production number 1023900 is still stamped on the correct part of the dash and also still written in crayon on the top of the dash of the car now bearing the 9113600001 vin."
    https://www.early911sregistry.org/forums/showthread.php?47542-Zazada-s-werks-ST-RSR-prot0-911-360-0001/page4
    HUGHH

in 1969 the series was called Serie B?

Last edited by _gonbau; 06-27-2021 at 11:25 AM.

Baudett
    the numbers you are talking about are for factory owned cars. Like any business Porsche must keep a record in its accounts of all assets which include factory owned cars - either for competition, sales department use, R&D or as company cars for management and directors

They have a unique numbering system in the companies FINANCIAL accounts and supporting records. This is totally separate to the vin number or anything related to the identity of the car itself.

I dont know precisely what numbering system they used in the 1960's but at least by the early 1970s they used a letter (corresponding to the series designation as you show above) and then sequential numbers after that as the car was recorded as inventory. There is no other code as far as I know and it is only for identifying the company owned cars for the purpose of accounting for them in the company's financial accounts. HOWEVER it does help identify whether or not a particular car was a company owned car originally BUT DOES NOT HELP identify in what way it was used.
    The only source of decoding these numbers would be from the management accounts of the company which I am sure would record the vin number and the use / person the car was allocated to against each one as well as when it was disposed of and what price they got for it - all standard management accounting matters with only the vin and the use / user of interest to us. I would not expect such a list to ever be available and it is only individual cars where this is known - usually from other sources / records like the fact that most if not all of these cars had the inventory number stuck on it on Dymo tape - usually in the drivers side door jamb / A pillar or on the leading edge of the drivers door.

I would expect that the letter attached to the number was done reflecting the model year that the vehicle was added to the company's asset base - so in the case of your limousine IF it had been a project started in the E (1972MY) year but on a 1970 built car and the car had been brought onto the accounts in the E year I would have thought it would be a E numbered car - remember this is ONLY about the company keeping track of its assets for financial accounting purposes. I could see an example of a company owned car say a C car going out to a coach builder in the E year to create a new car and for accounting purposes the C asset is written out of the books and replaced by a new E asset (and number)

this is a photo of what started life as Herbert Muller's company car in 1973. It is a 1973 RS and therefore was recorded in Porsche's management accounts a F and 23 presumably because it was the 23rd car transferred into company ownership in that financial (and model) year
    You can see that the number is just stuck on in blue Dymo tape and as stated above this is all purely for Porsche's internal financial accounting purpose. the two cars that that article mentioned were also probably two company owned cars (one from the 1969 model year(B) and the other from the 1970 model year (C)) and those numbers would have just been an internal shorthand way of identifying them - nothing more, nothing less. They would NOT be "model" numbers or even "project" nuimbers
    Name:  f23.png
Views: 800
Size:  842.4 KB
    Last edited by HughH; 06-28-2021 at 12:10 AM. Reason: added detail om F23
    Hugh Hodges
    73 911E
    Melbourne Australia

Foundation Member #005
    Australian TYP901 Register Inc.

Early S Registry #776

Quote Originally Posted by _gonbau View Post
    hello davep thanks for your answer, the name E is a factory annotation "I think" to name a particular vehicle without anything related to the chassis number! I think that "the limousine type porsche" was also an E. I'm going to look for references but I hope that with the explanation you know which ones I mean!

https://www.early911sregistry.org/fo...+Florio+Winner

+

the data on the "limousine" is wrong. It was not an E in the limousine case it was the 1970 C20.

+
    I must understand that for
    1968 A "XX"
    1969 B "XX"
    1970 C "XX"
    1971 D "XX"
    1972 E "XX"
    ¿?Correct?¿

1969 b17 pinfarrina
    https://www.4legend.com/2017/porsche...vraies-places/
    Name:  a (2).jpg
Views: 763
Size:  17.1 KB

... Maybe the letter followed the alphabetical order but I It is interesting to know if there is any list.
    total911.com/stretched-porsche-911-surprises-at-2016-goodwood-revival/

Name:  198008.jpg
Views: 791
Size:  73.6 KB

+
    E40 1972

"there are historical documents showing that the original Zasada car a `1972 911S with the vin number 911 230 0769 and production number 1023900 and internal factory designation of E40 (all of the cars for internal use also had a special factory code with the E signifying an E series car (1972MY) and presumably the 40 standing for the 40th internal test or press or competition car in that model year) is also (and since December 1972) known as 911 360 0001

In addition the internal production number 1023900 is still stamped on the correct part of the dash and also still written in crayon on the top of the dash of the car now bearing the 9113600001 vin."
    https://www.early911sregistry.org/forums/showthread.php?47542-Zazada-s-werks-ST-RSR-prot0-911-360-0001/page4
    HUGHH

in 1969 the series was called Serie B?

i read the link in french, the source is just not enough professional and the “B” is nonsense. You are following a wrong info and beside of “B” and “E”, nothing is proven, neither “B” or “E” related to production codes, as HughH states.

The only thing related to letters is the commonly description of 0, A and B serie (64-69), C and D series (70/71) and E and F (72-73) but these are not designated VIN or factory numbers, just simplified nominations to quickly define MY…nothing special here and even Wikipedia is using them.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porsche_911_(classic)

just my imho.
    Last edited by 911T1971; 06-28-2021 at 02:45 AM.
    Registry member No.773

A little correction to what Karim just posted: C series was both 1970 & 1971, E series was both 1972 & 1973 for the 911T, and 72 only for 911E & 911S. F series was for 1973 911E & 911S & 911RS. So no D series and the E series is confusing for no apparent reason. The aluminium manufacturer tags did not have these codes until 1970.
    Porsche Historian, contact for Kardex & CoA-type Reports
    Addicted since 1975, ESR mbr# 2200 to 2024 03
    Researching Paint codes and Engine Build numbers

thx Dave >>>>>
    Registry member No.773

Why say that the B is nonsense? In the articles it is mentioned that porsche commissioned Pinfarrina! Something that squares with Huhhg's account that the porsche was owned by porsche and needed "an inventory denomination" ... Thank you all for the information ... due to my short knowledge of porsches and pre-70 series I will take time to read well and understand it but I appreciate it!

Quote Originally Posted by davep View Post
    A little correction to what Karim just posted: C series was both 1970 & 1971, E series was both 1972 & 1973 for the 911T, and 72 only for 911E & 911S. F series was for 1973 911E & 911S & 911RS. So no D series and the E series is confusing for no apparent reason. The aluminium manufacturer tags did not have these codes until 1970.
    Thanks for the information

+

I take the opportunity to ask. This vehicle is the C20 from 1970. Is it the first vehicle to be fitted with an oil side door with the look of the 1972 series? Two years before they designed the system?
    Name:  upload_2019-12-14_14-23-9.png
Views: 656
Size:  369.3 KB

This vehicle should be an "E XX" right?
    https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/cars-for-sale/porsche/911s/2256708.html
    It
    claims to be a gearbox with LSD but why doesn't the COA show it? the lsd was not a piece of investigation. Should I be present at the initial COA?

"
    These items would not have shown up on the build sheet and would have been documented separately by the testing department. According to Rolf Sprenger, who has had a long distinguished career with the Porsche Factory, stated that those records were destroyed in a flood many years ago in Germany. The car currently has fender flares and is wearing 7” and 8” Fuchs."

Is there anything known about that flood? A hard blow for porsche ... Sure.