Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: VIN 13366 RHD prototype, 8th february 1965

Quote Originally Posted by haul View Post
    no, two different colors.....
    guards red aka indian red and signal red are complete different recipes
    you are probably right but comparing glasurit R20 or R21 with an earlier glasurit (glasso or glassomax)recipes is like comparing apples with pears..makes no sens at all. will have a look at the colour chips i have(you certainly have those as well) and compare signal with guards .if this does not give an satisfactory result i do have a first paint guards red shell and some first paint signal panels..will report

just had a look--indischrot/guards red(there is several nuances of it) is brighter than signal and signal is a bit more blueish

Quote Originally Posted by moito View Post
    just had a look--indischrot/guards red(there is several nuances of it) is brighter than signal and signal is a bit more blueish
    Exactly. Some call it “dirtier”.

Richard
    searching for engine (case) 903742

I have very little to use as a reference except the inside of the doors which must have changed over 50 years, and I don't have enough knowledge or experience of early 911/912's.
    So I have ordered a Paint sample card (that Brett Johnson recommended) from the US. I thought is exact I could use a meter to check the colour spectrum. I just hope the sample is accurate (The sprayer didn't sound very impressed! but it will give me a reference.)

So we can experiment and use that as a colour match.
    But colour isn't the only decision here. the texture and shine is also very important and the surely depends on the paint system being used.
    eg a modern finish is nothing like the finish cars had in the 60's.
    (my sprayer is confident he can reproduce the original finish but I would like to be sure, I want this right.)

I don't know enough yet to make an really informed decision.
    I have sent an enquiry to Glassurit and asked their advice and opinion and trawled for articles and advice on the internet.

Has anyone an opinion on the best system to use to get the original finish or any advice. You guys have the experience and are the real experts.

i did a 68 full respray ....target was to not have a super bling bling car which you would get with modern car paint..experimented a lot with matting agent etc.. but it all looked a bit artificial ...
    in the end i used glasurit series 68 2K..thats paint for comercial vehicles. and i must say after the first buff or two i was super happy with the result..the thing is when it rolls out from the paint booth it looks like normal 2k car paint ,very bling bling, but since standards for comercial vehicles apparently are not as high as for cars you will not be able(at least i was not) to buff it back to bling bling...more like bling. and it even saves you a few bucks

..i`m pretty sure your sprayer will prefere this over any old school material...

For those of you really wanting to chase the last couple of % paint wise. There are some initiatives out there duplicating the old style paint formulas. The guys at the Collier museum have been working on this with the help of Dr. Tutt from Germany. We are considering this for my '56 as I do not like the feel of the modern two stage metallics.

Quote Originally Posted by 718RSK View Post
    For those of you really wanting to chase the last couple of % paint wise. There are some initiatives out there duplicating the old style paint formulas. The guys at the Collier museum have been working on this with the help of Dr. Tutt from Germany. We are considering this for my '56 as I do not like the feel of the modern two stage metallics.
    Thanks for the input. Food for thought, I love the idea of glassurit 68 I will have to do some research on that.

I decided rather than tearing the car apart today I would start restoring the front struts.
    It nice occasionally to feel I havevl achieved something.
    There was no paint lift on them but after a days cleanup I find they are standard boge shocks. At the top there was some paint left and they were a grey colour.
    Question for the day. What colour grey is this and was the whole strut this grey colour ?

Quote Originally Posted by GRAEMEW View Post
    Thanks for the input. Food for thought, I love the idea of glassurit 68 I will have to do some research on that.

I decided rather than tearing the car apart today I would start restoring the front struts.
    There was no paint lift on them but after a days cleanup I find they are standard boge shocks. At the top there was some paint left and they were a grey colour.
    Question for the day. What colour grey is this and was the whole strut this grey colour ?
    here you are
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Quote Originally Posted by GRAEMEW View Post

Any chance there is a date code or partnumber on your shocks? It’s kind f interesting to see that even for the preproduction 912 they had already the blue/grey Boge instead of the black 901 partnumber 901/911.

And what color are the rear shocks? Any marking on those?

Richard
    searching for engine (case) 903742

Quote Originally Posted by preS View Post
    Any chance there is a date code or partnumber on your shocks? It’s kind f interesting to see that even for the preproduction 912 they had already the blue/grey Boge instead of the black 901 partnumber 901/911.

And what color are the rear shocks? Any marking on those?

Richard
    Here are the pictures, sorry thats the best I could do they are very pitted.

The rear shocks were so bat I couldnt get a picture of them. but they are marked
    120201-32909-0
    BOGE
    902-333051-01

However they look like they are grey all over.
    Attached Images Attached Images