Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: hard window 68 Targa

hard window 68 Targa

this would be the first hard window Targa's. My question is... What part of the roll bar were blacked out. The underside only???
    Would the lower perimeter of the window area (at seal ) be blacked out???
    Thanks for any feed back because this would be a rare configuration due to the next year 69 having a vented cover.
    bob

Yes, and yes. Targa bar padding and window surround is simply smooth vinyl. This is the only pic I have but can take a couple detail shots if needed.

Name:  Karen's '68 Targa 022.jpg
Views: 215
Size:  101.7 KB
    Russ

ESR # 1537

'62 356S Notchback Hotrod
    '67 S Das Geburtstagsgeschenk
    '68 T Targa Sportomatic
    '68 L SW Targa Sportomatic
    '70 914/6 GT

Thank you Russ .... I deeply apologize for my inability to communicate clearly.... I will try to do better.
    What I meant to say is... the bottom of the roll bar, inside the car, was painted black over the body color.
    And... around the perimeter of the rear window, next to the seal... inside the car, and on top of the body color, is that painted black.
    I have an example of a 1969 Targa and the rear window lower perimeter was only painted body color..
    I am guessing that the 1968 soft rear window area may have been painted differently than my 1968 L hard rear window.
    Last edited by bob joyce; 07-13-2021 at 08:15 PM.

Mr. Joyce,

i am trying to finish '68 SWT #0001, and my friend has one of the first HWTs (#080).

to the extent that it might help you, according to my research re: paint, the black-out spray was used on the doors and rear upholstered areas for SWB cars. the blackout placement tended to be along the edges of the upholstery pieces, purely for aesthetics. for cars with black upholstery, the aesthetics of black-out spray were fine. (For cars with brown or red interior, not so much.)

the HWT ans SWT black-out patterns for SWB cars tended to be the same, especially when SWT/HWT were interchangeable.

the LWB cars (especially targas) that i have researched are not consistent with the black-out patterns.

i do not offer this as definitive. it is simply what my research has shown. i hope it helps.

Yes ....it is hard to get a definitive picture of exactly how and were the black out trim paint was applied.
    what you suggest about edges of upholstery for aesthetics makes sense of what I have seen in some older un-restored pictures with the upholstery removed.
    It appears that under the rear bolsters and extending back just a little but not at the back of the rear window for some reason.
    I used a donor rear parcel shelf from a 1969 Targa and there was no black out paint at all along the bottom of the rear window or at the bolster trim areas just body paint.
    So you are correct.
    I have seen some pictures of SWT with out upholstery and the very back portion of the rear window area were body color. I saw black out along the sides under the bolster trim.
    Thank you your input is helpful.

What would be very helpful is if some one that has or had a 1968 L Hard Window Targa
    That has taken pictures of the rear window area with the upholstery removed
    could post a picture...
    I am seeing glimpses of this area and I have a feeling that the soft window back area that has round holes cut out at the back window area
    1969 Hard window .... the same area is solid, no round holes cut out...
    I think (but do not know) that maybe the 1968 Hard window cars were built with the same "1969" metal...
    Here is a picture of the solid "1969" metal.
    Also, I got just a hint but nothing conclusive, that this back area was blacked out. (that would fall in line with the "edge of upholstery" aesthetics ....
    Name:  DSCN1026[1].jpg
Views: 153
Size:  86.9 KB

Bob,

i'll try to find out whether any of my friends have the cars (and can take the photos)that you seek.

one additional item that has been mentioned to me in side-discussions of your inquiry is the theory that the black-out was primarily done based on INTERIOR color, rather than body color.

the suggestion was that the primary interior colors were black, brown, red, and white, and those body edges were 'color-shot' to match the interior. i can't make any promises, but if i can uncover a 68-69 in original condition near here, i'll send photos along.

good luck, regardless.

Ahhh, understood, Bob.

Here's a shot of our '68, the entire body EXCEPT the targa bar and door internals was stripped of paint, so the black seen here is untouched and original EDIT>CORRECTION<. Roll bar top and underside is black, as is the window perimeter.

Name:  1968 911T Targa 002 (2).jpg
Views: 133
Size:  77.3 KB
    Last edited by Bullethead; 07-18-2021 at 11:22 AM.
    Russ

ESR # 1537

'62 356S Notchback Hotrod
    '67 S Das Geburtstagsgeschenk
    '68 T Targa Sportomatic
    '68 L SW Targa Sportomatic
    '70 914/6 GT

Thank you Russ and mshaver51 ...This picture is of a 1968 911L Coupe ...
    The round holes at the back are similar for the Soft Rear Window cars...
    The other picture I posted this was a Hard Window Targa 1969.... Solid no holes..
    I am wondering if this sold piece may have been available and installed in some of the ealier 1968 Hard Window Targas.
    Russ ... I notice you have an engine lid that would suggest the car was built around December 1967...
    Is it possible you have a picture of the back area of the car.
    Name:  DSCN1027[1].jpg
Views: 142
Size:  83.4 KB

Anecdotally.... More "evidence" that the blacking out had to do with aesthetics etc. and not a uniform application.
    The dash at window blacking out ... It seems that if the car body paint was "dark" .The blacking out was a relatively narrow strip from passenger side to driver side relatively consistent.
    However if the car body color was white. The stripe was widened over the gauges area so that the marking crayon for the vin # (a lighter color) could be seen...
    Name:  DSCN0997[1].jpg
Views: 132
Size:  94.5 KB