Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: please show me factory/original/regular gap between

Xavier Petit-Jean-Boret Xavier PJB's Avatar
    Preparation is everything, I fully agree, and not only in painting a car.

The boss of the body shop himself is now taking care of my 911 and he told me that the prep work was poorly done, hence the gaps. So he is re doing the car...himself.
    Let's see...
    Cheers
    X
    O-G 26 - Early911S 2407

that sounds good ... if his ego is involved it should surly turn out ok.... good luck

Quote Originally Posted by xpensivewino View Post
    Fortunately or unfortunately, I learned quickly why painting the car is about 5% of the body mans work, and prepping and fitting is about 95% of his work. My body man spent months on fitting, and re-fitting everything thing. If your shop isn’t asking for nearly every part from latches, to new door hinge pins, to test fitting the turn signals, rocker trim etc. before paint, then they really aren’t thorough with fit and finish.
    i tend to say it is even less than 1% (out of curiosity i actually had a look at my recordings where i can see how much time i spent doing this or that).

applying paint to the shell is truly a milestone in every restoration and i`m always looking forward to this moment when you roll the shell in the paintbooth and start spraying....but after this few minutes of joy i also feel a bit sad because of its shortness.