Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Correct Velour Carpet vendors/product

Auckland, New Zealand. And Los Angeles, USA.

Correct Velour Carpet vendors/product

Hi Guys,
    Gauging positive experiences with current carpet suppliers.

Important factors are:
    Quality & correctness of velour (salt & pepper shade) - US sourced used to be shorter pile than Europe-sourced.
    Correctness of edge binding
    Correctness of backing
    Pricing
    Ability to make in LHD & RHD.

Current known suppliers to me are: Autos International, Autobahn Interiors, K & H Upholstery, Lakewell, Southbound Trimmers. Sierra Madre & Pelican Parts (don’t know who their suppliers are)
    Keen to know who has bought from SMC & Pelican and what your opinions of their velour carpets sets are.

Would appreciate sharing of your experiences.

Thanks,
    Last edited by 911kiwi; 09-16-2021 at 08:34 PM.
    Kiwi
    1972 911S
    1967 912
    1959 356A Conv D
    Early S Registry # 306

member #1515
    Pretty sure there is only one source for the correct Haargarn velour. It really boils down to who has the best fit and most accurate finish. Best US sources are autos International and Tony at Autobahn. Anyone out there have experience with Lakewell or Southbound?
    Last I spoke to Tony, he said that due to Covid carpet availability was difficult.
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

Part of the reason I ask, is that a friend ordered a set from Southbound, expecting the correct Haargarn velour and was disappointed with the material he received, very short pile, too dark, polyester-ish material. Unsure whether he ticked the wrong box or the product description was inaccurate.
    I’m sure many owners have replaced their carpets, and now that there are more suppliers, I’d be keen to know others experiences. Do it once, do it right - so I’m not simply looking for the cheapest option!
    Kiwi
    1972 911S
    1967 912
    1959 356A Conv D
    Early S Registry # 306

A friend of mine bought a kit from Lakewell a few years back, and it was also quite dark, almost pure black.
    Last edited by Arne; 07-26-2021 at 06:57 AM.
    - Arne
    Current - 2018 718 Cayman, Rhodium Silver, PDK

Sold - 1972 911T coupe, Silver Metallic; 1984 911 Carrera coupe, Chiffon white; 1973 914 2.0, Saturn Yellow; 1984 944, Silver Metallic

member #1515
    The salt and pepper velours is 100% wool.
    I replaced mine around 15 years ago, I can't remember where I bought, maybe stoddard or Alan Johnson. Many more choices now.
    Mine is a little worn now on the drivers side.
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

There's really only one supplier for the correct wool from what I understand. Auto's and Autobahn are supplying the usual retailers (Pelican, Stoddard and Sierra Madre).

There's a significant availability issue right now in the material. You'll find some small variables from roll to roll in the material, Auto's and Autobahn will only cut a carpet kit from a particular roll, they won't split the kit between 2 rolls, not sure about other suppliers. You "might" have better luck out of a European supplier right now, if they have the right product, but then you should also know and specify your binding material of choice as well.

e

Thank for the comments so far guys.
    Eric, I assumed that the “usual retailers” would probably have the same suppliers. Prices are also similar amongst the retailers and the suppliers. This is all good info to help make my decision. Interesting that the US suppliers have the correct velour & the European ones do not. I expected that the velour would be sourced from Europe.
    Kiwi
    1972 911S
    1967 912
    1959 356A Conv D
    Early S Registry # 306

Timely thread this. The original, velour carpet in my 71T with the appearance option package is pretty crusty and doesn’t seem to want to come back.

Could someone please PM me the info for the “usual retailer” of which you speak??

Don't use Lakewell, they don't even know what model floor mat they are sending out.
    S Registry#2021

Quote Originally Posted by mrar View Post
    Don't use Lakewell, they don't even know what model floor mat they are sending out.
    +1 have not been impressed with any of the stuff i got from them