Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Correct Velour Carpet vendors/product

Velours … the conversion to M472 used the model 911 S carpets

I need fresh carpets. The glue is coming apart and becoming threadbare. What’s the difference between velour and perlon?
    James Hurst #1638
    R Gruppe #514
    911T with 2.2S Ps and Cs, Solex grind Cams and PMO 40mm

Quote Originally Posted by zenithblue71T View Post
    I need fresh carpets. The glue is coming apart and becoming threadbare. What’s the difference between velour and perlon?
    Perlon is a felt like product that comes in different weights. Trunk felt is a perlon, and some early cars used it to carpet the interior. Velour is a wool based true backed carpet with a low pile. Rob

Auckland, New Zealand. And Los Angeles, USA.
    Thanks for the feedback everyone! I decided to have K & H European Auto Upholstery (Gardena) make me a carpet set. Superb quality! Genuine Haargan Wool Velour material.
    My carpets are original, I’ve owned the 72S for 26 years - both front mats worn through, threshold carpets worn in spots to the backing, but rear carpets as usual looking good, very little wear or so I thought.
    I kept putting renewing them on the back-burner & to be honest, people never noticed the carpet until I mentioned it.
    Here’s the difference:
    Name:  B9001DE8-5BCE-4C20-8506-B58F4AEA520C.jpg
Views: 255
Size:  190.9 KB
    Look how faded the old rear mat on the right is - sure my kids rode in the back seats a lot when they were young. But the mats looked “like new” - until now!
    Name:  642451D3-6D41-45E8-9E35-75FE370913EF.jpg
Views: 266
Size:  162.4 KB
    Even the back of the rear seats which looked okay, appeared washed out & faded.
    Name:  2084F550-1409-4B67-B83B-D4A8CAB65DEF.jpg
Views: 260
Size:  147.5 KB
    Optical illusion in previous photo makes carpet look different sizes.

Only differences I can pick from original:
    front & rear floor mats don’t have the heavy dimpled backing the originals had;
    the small straps which attach the carpets to the top of the foot wells are leather rather than the original rubber material;
    and the domes on the rear seat backs are smaller than originals.
    Trainspotter stuff! Oh yeah, and the binding and the stitching is better & straighter than original!
    Received it 8 days from date of ordering (I live in New Zealand!!!!)
    I haven’t installed yet as I need to buy glue. AND I had just started making a Rear Seat Delete module when the carpet arrived, so had to finish that first!
    Name:  82F3CFC9-488B-4EA6-9093-02A627150D8E.jpg
Views: 259
Size:  95.6 KB
    It’s now upholstered, just need paint underside black & fit the doors!
    Will post pics of carpet when installed.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by 911kiwi; 09-16-2021 at 08:40 PM. Reason: Typo
    Kiwi
    1972 911S
    1967 912
    1959 356A Conv D
    Early S Registry # 306

Quote Originally Posted by matteo68 View Post
    I can do that - Alan at Canford Classics is going to do my ‘72 ST when it arrives in the UK and we speak almost every day at the moment.
    Any update on this?

Quote Originally Posted by 718RSK View Post
    Any update on this?
    Sorry, plans have changed and I'm not using Canford Classics any more for my build, so not in contact now.
    ESR #4098
    ‘72 T Coupe (donor car for M491 2.5 SR)
    '72 S Coupe (2-owner tangerine unicorn)