Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: evaluating interest in a decal

evaluating interest in a decal

I finally got around to doing something I've wanted to accomplish for well over 10 years.
    Right off the bat, I couldn't have done this without the help of Ernie Wilberg. THANKS ERNIE!!

There's a long story involved but I'll try to keep it brief as possible.
    Porsche 911R chassis number 911899 005 was one of the early R's that had competition success. The big one for 005 was the victory at the 1969 Tour de France with Gérard Larrousse driving. Larrousse also won the Tour de Corse with 005. It eventually ended up with Jo Siffert and it was part of the group of competition cars he supplied McQueen for use in the movie Le Mans.

Sometime prior to the Tour de Corse a decal was applied to the driver's side rear quarter window. The decal came from an event on the Island of Corsica — Association Sportive Automobile, Corsica Groupe Competition.

The car was purchased by a Canadian collector who replaced the window and sold it to another collector. Some time around 1998 the Canadian collector contacted Cris Huergas after he and his brothers along with Rodney Chew had their story in Excellence Magazine. The guy offered the quarter window to him. Cris put him in touch with Ernie and he was able to purchase it and he still has it. The photo of Cris show him holding the quarter window up to the same area of his car of the time... ’69 911S I believe.

Ernie found confirmation of the car with the decal through photos published in John Starkey's book, “From R to GT3R”showing the ASA decal in the exact area it was applied to the window he’d just purchased.

The Corsica Competition Groupe is still in existence but they aren't responsive to inquiries and they're NOT offering decals as far as I can tell. As most of you know, the car is in the Rev's Institute collection today, sans cool Corsica decal.

So, here it is... I've recreated the decal and I’m offering a copy to any early Porsche 911 enthusiast who might want to have one. The preliminary examples look pretty good and Ernie has checked one for accuracy and sizing. My version is slightly larger and I’m making the adjustment. Also note, the decal is NOT a perfect copy of the original Its very close and close enough for a hack like myself. Hope you agree.
    Also, the interior of the island image in the background is clear with no drop shadow.

Not everyone will care or get the coolness behind it but I think many of you will. I think its great because it has relevance to the early history of the R Gruppe.
    The cost will be around $6 each plus shipping.

So simply respond if you're interested.

Thanks guys.
    MM
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Last edited by Mark Morrissey; 08-13-2021 at 03:19 AM.

Here's some more photos
    Attached Images Attached Images    

i`m in for 5..shipped to austria.please advise thanks franz

pack plus three ….please advise..
    59 750 pre unit triton
    63 650 gray silver bikinitub triumph thunderbird
    70 650 astralred silver triumph bonneville
    65 912 slate gray "erwin"
    73 914 ravennagreen "ferdl"
    erwin_loves_polo

I'll buy 3.
    1959 Auratium Green 356A Super w/ Rudge wheels
    1970 Irish Green 914-6 w/2.2S
    Current -1967 Bahama Yellow 912 POLO 2cam4 #1
    www.reSeeWorks.com
    Personalized Vintage Porsche's and parts
    I couldn't find the sports car of my dreams, so I built it myself-Ferdinand Porsche

I'll take two. Thank Mark!
    Brad Anderson
    911 1970 einspritzung Karmann coupe 0012

Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Great Project

I will take 2 thanks Mark
    Hugh Hodges
    73 911E
    Melbourne Australia

Foundation Member #005
    Australian TYP901 Register Inc.

Early S Registry #776