Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 901 shifter refresh...What's going on in here?

NVH = Noise, Vibration, and Harshness

I ordered a spring from 914rubber, but I don't think it'll get here in time. I'm guessing (hoping?) that it has been replaced, judging by the condition of the other plastic bits. The collar that broke may have been original, but the cup and two "spring bushings" seem whiter and unworn. The spring feels firm, but I have nothing to compare it to...It's about 26mm tall, near as i can measure. My other parts will arrive today and I'd rather not wait...but I'd hate to miss a bit that could improve things...Care to cast a vote...?

JimmyT is sending me a set of slightly harder coupler bushings that have a snug fit instead of play. I'm hoping that'll eliminate play without a noticeable increase in noise or vibration. Considering how loud my exhaust is, this is probably a moot point, but I plan on quieting that thing down at some point.

I took the photos with an iPhone 12 Mini. Most of the quality is probably postprocessing...I use Lightroom to boost the shadows substantially, and then increase "Clarity" quite a bit to increase sharpness and contrast. Then there's some dark vinette in the corners to draw the eyes to the center...I find it works well for technical stuff where information and details are more important than aesthetics.

My existing spring measured 26mm and the new spring I got from 914rubber is 30mm:

Progress?

The stop plate I received from Pelican seems to be slightly different. The holes are a bit too high, and I can't get the pins through. I had to drill out the holes. Rather frustrating...I'm now faced with using my stock (worn) plate, and my new-but-drilled-out plate...I think I need to drill them out a touch more, as I'm realizing the plate is designed to move back and forth along the pins (acting as the spring load for the 1st/reverse plane).

I called it quits for the day to ruminate.

Typical aftermarket parts.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

I'd be less annoyed if it wasn't the $80 Genuine Porsche Part...

But Porsche now uses the lowest bidder for many parts.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Indeed. I wound up cleaning the original stop plate off and used that...I got everything back together and it shifts a lot better now. I'm punting on the coupler area for now! Bigger fish to fry...

The pins and springs were quite awkward until I figured everything out...Here's a quick video on how to do the "nail/string" trick:

https://bit.ly/901-shifter-springs