Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stats on colors of 2.4 S Coupe'

Stats on colors of 2.4 S Coupe'

As a development of my old thread on the whereabouts of the 911 2.4s Coupe' and following some requests I have received from ESR forum members, I have elaborated a list of the most common colors for the cars I have in my data base.

I have started with the 1973 (F-Series) MY. I have taken into account the 421 chassis (and still counting) I have in the DB and taken a sample of 324 for which I am pretty confident on the actual matching color. Here are the results. Open for comments, challenging, questions and discussion. In case of interest, I can do the same for 1972 MY.

Thanks for your attention.

Member #2768 http://www.no-speedlimit.it

• 1973 Biancaneve - 911 2.4 S/F Ivory
    • 1977 Fiona - 911 Carrera 3.0 Oak Green Metallic
    • 1993 Bellatrix - 964 Turbo 3.6 Black

I keep a registry of 1972 and 1973 2.4 S coupé chassis. Infos always welcome!!!

Instagram
    Twitter

Interesting. A commendable effort to pull this together.

Comment: Not limited to S coupe scope.
    I know for a fact Silver was the most popular for RHD 911 here for model 72 and 73 according to GB importer. So that top spot seems to tally. I don’t know breakdown by TES; or coupe vs targa, as that model cut within colour wasn’t analysed here.

We have to remember if starting with F series model 73 there are some distortions. There was no silver allowed on RS for 73 of course — in fact no metallic paint allowed on the limited edition homologation RS model for weight saving reasons as well as difficulty in getting paint of the day in a consistent quality on body of both steel and glass fibre. Except the metallic green special for the boss The arrival of RS with reserved 908 Grand Prix White distorted the 911 sales by colour in U.K. on Model 73 vs 72 as well as presumably cannibalising S coupe sales because there was little difference in price when they fretted if they could shift them. Suspect similar happened various other markets outside USA as they absorbed 1580 top of range one year only special edition with many in the reserved RS White colour.

To put the distortion in some context … if in the U.K. RS model painted GP white with blue red green decals ( there were no RS in GPW here with decal delete) are all taken together it would have been third most popular on 911 after silver and light yellow here in U.K.

The RS model was roughly fifth of U.K. 911 sales total for all of model 73 but obviously zero the prior model year.

Interesting to see your analysis — 72 will be interesting and possibly free of the limited model reserved colour distortion that might appear for MY 73 for some markets that were allowed the RS. USA of big market doesn’t have the RS distortion bit Germany another large market did.

The popularity by colour in these years was on the discussion agenda for the a GB dealer “jolly” to continental Europe — most of the official dealer principals and/ or their senior representative across UK network went by plane from LHR (to Austria iirc) for a packed agenda of fun and enough work discussions to satisfy tax man it has a business purpose.

While different in scope to your “discussion starter” post I hope these comments help.

Steve
    Last edited by 911MRP; 08-09-2021 at 11:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 911MRP View Post
    Not limited to S coupe … I know for a fact Silver was the most popular for RHD 911 on model 72 and 73 according to GB importer. I don’t know breakdown by TES or coupe vs targa. There was no silver on RS on 73 of course as no metallic paint allowed on the limited edition homologation RS model for weight saving reasons as well as difficulty in getting paint quality across body of steel and glass fibre.
    Thanks for your feedback. I believe that the figures for 2.7 RS are pretty conclusive, since it has been coveted in many publications, independent and official research work. I also concur with your statement on silver metallic, but I don't think there is a kind of consistent and comprehensive fact-based study ... not even sure Porsche has ever released official figures in this respect.
    Last edited by Biancaneve; 08-09-2021 at 09:24 AM. Reason: spelling, spelling ... :/

Instagram
    Twitter

Thanks for the hard work!

Surprised at the low count for Signal Orange, which was extremely popular in 70/71 911s according to an ancient Panorama article.
    techweenie.com

My parts fetcher: 2016 Tesla S | Currently building: 73 RSR tribute and 69 RS tribute

Quote Originally Posted by Eminence Gris View Post
    Thanks for the hard work!

Surprised at the low count for Signal Orange, which was extremely popular in 70/71 911s according to an ancient Panorama article.
    Indeed! I'm also surprised for the high number of Sepia Brown . Thanks a lot for your comment!

Instagram
    Twitter

To be clear I don’t want to duplicate the RS colour analysis as that is well covered in references available down to each of the 1580 examples.

The point I am highlighting is the distortion effect of the RS uniquely in 73 as something to consider in your F series S coupe analysis. It probably would have affected the volumes of S and possibly the colour distribution —for example if customer very keen on metallic in 1973 in that budget bracket would need to opt for S to get it. But some customers might have been temped away from S by RS even if only in non metallic — possibly they would’ve preferred the metallic.

It’s potential foe such distortion that F series rather than the well known RS breakdown per se that is prompted my line of thought…. it might become evident when you do 72 or other years.

Also interesting to see influence of racing livery— Martini silver and other factory race colours before it

Great work — look forward to seeing MY 72 as less impacted by that one off effect.

Steve
    Last edited by 911MRP; 08-09-2021 at 11:35 AM.

To be clear I don’t want to duplicate the RS colour analysis as that is well covered in references available down to each of the 1580 examples.

The point I am highlighting is the distortion effect of the RS uniquely in 73 as something to consider in your F series S coupe analysis. It probably would have affected the volumes of S and possibly the colour distribution —for example if customer very keen on metallic in 1973 in that budget bracket would need to opt for S to get it. But some customers might have been temped away from S by RS even if only in non metallic — possibly they would’ve preferred the metallic.

It’s potential foe such distortion that F series rather than the well known RS breakdown per se that is prompted my line of thought…. it might become evident when you do 72 or other years.

Also interesting to see influence of racing livery— Martini silver and other factory race colours before it

Great work — look forward to seeing MY 72 as less impacted by that one off effect.

Steve
    Ah, I think I get your point, maybe ... nevertheless ... I would tend to think that if, back in '73, I really wanted an RS and I had the money to buy it, but also had a soft spot on metallic then I would go for a metallic PTS on a Touring model ... wouldn't I?

BTW ... yes, thanks a lot for your interest ... I will do the 1972 one of the following weeks

Instagram
    Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Biancaneve View Post

... I would tend to think that if, back in '73, I really wanted an RS and I had the money to buy it, but also had a soft spot on metallic then I would go for a metallic PTS on a Touring model ... wouldn't I?

BTW ... yes, thanks a lot for your interest ... I will do the 1972 one of the following weeks
    Not possible and that’s my point … metallic was not permitted on the RS model at all even if paying special request — metallic not allowed, period.

The order instructions to dealer I have for my car say that metallic not allowed on 911.744. Said to be due to weight of that paint being one issue; those that left factory as Touring in first 1000 were all weighed as base cars with the paint applied and had to independently be recorded as meeting 900kg homologation target when presented at town scales so the conversion (Touring Sport) is irrelevant to paint colour. Also the quality of metallics of day when applied metal and glass fibre another reason not allowed. Afaik only one example built for Ferry Porsche had metallic paint and that one had many unique features so is an anomaly. So anyone absolutely wanting metallic couldn’t get an RS. Might they spent money to an S — could this have influenced the proportion of metallic among coupe S that unusual year?

Thought you should be made of aware of that as a factor that might well affect the numbers and distribution of the S coupe scope since you chose model 73. That year not the normal free choice of colour due to factory rules on 1580 very similarly priced 911. As said the price difference RS to S not that material when launched because the factory were worried about selling sufficient quantity — how price sensitive are people if already had healthy budget for an S?

All I’m pointing out is that due to unusual situation of that model year it might’ve distorted colour of the choices of the normally top of range S coupe in that particular F model year you’re starting with. Something to bear in mind if drawing inferences since are putting a lot of effort into analysing the data and asking for thoughts.

Ignore thoughts/ input if you wish but hopefully clear F series 73 might be an unusual year with some things “distorting” colour / model.

As said I think what you are doing is interesting.

Steve
    Last edited by 911MRP; 08-10-2021 at 04:47 AM. Reason: Rephrased to improve clarity of point not to change the meaning

Not possible and that’s my point … metallic was not permitted on the RS model at all even if paying special request — metallic not allowed period. Touring in first 1000 were all weighed so not sure why that applicable? The order instructions to dealer I have for my car say that metallic not allowed. Said to be due to weight of that paint; also the quality of metallics of day when applied metal snd glass fibre.

Thought you should be made of aware of that as a factor that might well affect the numbers and distribution of the narrow S coupe subset as on those ways 73 not the normal free choice of colour. 1580 ( 1579 excluding green Ferry Porsche one off metallic green) especially alongside point being the price difference RS to S not that material because they were worried about selling them so not a huge difference.

All I’m pointing out is that due to unusual situation of that model it might’ve distorted colour of the choices of the normally top of range S coupe in that particular F model year you’re starting with. Something to bear in mind if drawing inferences as you are putting a lot of effort into analysing the data.

Ignore input if you wish.

As said I think what you are doing is interesting.

Steve

Steve
    Thank you Steve, now it's more clear to me ... indeed far sighted food for thought and to be kept in mind of course before drawing conclusion after I complete the data crunching with 1972

Instagram
    Twitter

I’ll check in on the progress. Keep us posted on 72 etc