Thread: SWB 1966 - Leaking Oil Line Nut - Replacement?

SWB 1966 - Leaking Oil Line Nut - Replacement?

Hello All,
    I've been driving my car in the nicer weather, and a leak developed on my oil tank to cooler line, at the oil cooler.

The nut is leaking on the cooler end, and oil is dripping down onto my nice heat exchangers, so now left a stain there.

I purchased a new oil line, thinking new threads would seal better on the new oil cooler, PN: 901-107-301-13. (Engine totally rebuilt 2015).

That new line is longer, probably to accommodate the later models - but it appears too long for my car. It hangs down below the heat exchangers and looked too dangerous to use. I worried it could snag on road debris, branches, etc. So I took it off.

I re-installed the old line, tightening by feel. No torque wrench, crow foot, etc.

I tried using some Hylomar, just a swipe on the threads of the cooler. It held for a while but the leak is back now.

Do I have any options or do I just live with the leak? The original line is NLA, and it's the threads that are at issue anyway.

Should I re-install the new line, is it too long to use?

I know leaks are a fact of life if we drive our cars, just tired of the stains on my exchangers and it wasn't leaking until recently.

Appreciate the help.
    Thank you.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Mitch M.
    Early 911S Registry Member #3603
    Maryland, USA

Send your old hose to Brad Davis on this forum. Those are reusable hose ends, he can replace using your original fittings, and it will be the right length.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Hi Ed!
    Thanks for the quick reply.

Yes, Brad made up camshaft oil lines for me on this engine. Great guy.

But is that new (longer) replacement line safe to use while my car is down?

If not, it might be a winter project. Plus, I'm sure Brad is very busy.

Appreciate all the help.
    Mitch M.
    Early 911S Registry Member #3603
    Maryland, USA

Member #226 R Gruppe Life Member #147
    Sense the drain back valves only fit in the new hoses, I would cut the new hose, with the drain back valve, to size and kill two birds with 1 cut. JMO. I run the valves in all my cars.

Install the new hose so the loop is up not down , and the old hose is not leaking at the threads but at the conical fitting surface .

Same happened with my 70, I put on a new one like yours. What Richy said, turn the elbow up….
    Robert Williams
    911T
    Member #1611

Hi Mitch,

I am happy to help repair the line. New wrap cured hose and happy to replace the fittings.

Thanks Ed

Brad
    Brad Davis
    RGruppe #691
    Early 911S #1547