Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What year window frames do I have?

What year window frames do I have?

These came with my 67-912. They are brass and chrome with plastic handles on the vent window. Are they 65-66 frames? Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    A part isn't purchased until paid.

The 9 Store LLC.

The soft vent window handle covers are for '68, so maybe real late '67? I'm not sure... but '68 is also chrome on brass.
    Russ

ESR # 1537

'62 356S Notchback Hotrod
    '67 S Das Geburtstagsgeschenk
    '68 T Targa Sportomatic
    '68 L SW Targa Sportomatic
    '70 914/6 GT

Quote Originally Posted by Bullethead View Post
    The soft vent window handle covers are for '68, so maybe real late '67? I'm not sure... but '68 is also chrome on brass.
    Isn’t MY 68 alu w vented windows?

My guess are these later 67, original to the 912 they came from?

R
    searching for engine (case) 903742

68 is aluminum.
    My 912 is an early 67, built in 66, so the plastic handles have me slightly confused but I’m no expert on these. Thanks

The 9 Store LLC.

As noted above, 67 frames are brass with chrome, vent handles are chromed with no plastic cover. 68 frames are aluminum with anodizing, and rubber covered handles complements of Department of Transporation, who also required the dash knobs to be rubber covered so we would'nt hurt ourselves. The frame at hand being 67-, then, has probably had the handles "upgraded" to 68+ versions, a relatively straightforward swap.

My bad, our '68 is a Targa, the vent frame is chromed (I assumed coupes were the same). Jim is probably correct: the rubber safety covers slip on with adhesive.
    Russ

ESR # 1537

'62 356S Notchback Hotrod
    '67 S Das Geburtstagsgeschenk
    '68 T Targa Sportomatic
    '68 L SW Targa Sportomatic
    '70 914/6 GT

Russ, if your frame is indeed 68, then it is aluminum, which means it is not chromed, it is bright anodized. And coupes are the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullethead View Post
    My bad, our '68 is a Targa, the vent frame is chromed (I assumed coupes were the same). Jim is probably correct: the rubber safety covers slip on with adhesive.
    The pre ‘68 levers aren’t cast the same as 68-on. One can’t just add the soft covers to the earlier lever. Someone replaced the early levers with the lock knob with the ‘68-On style.
    Michael
    “Electricity is really just organized lightning”

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586

The plot thickens...

The 9 Store LLC.

I checked it again. It’s not just a simple rubber cover. It’s bonded to the lever very securely. Strange to have on an early production 67. Almost everything else on the car but the engine lid seems to be original parts.

The 9 Store LLC.