Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 Pebble Beach . . .

More 2021 Pebble Beach . . .

. . . 1938 Horch 853A

Anything Mercedes can do, Audi can do loooooooooonger

Check-out those chromed headlight + front turn signal housings . . . chromed dual spares . . .

Seriously --- how big of a tank would it take to do those bits?

. . . + chromed machine gun horns w/ports . . .

. . . not to mention the usual radiator, windshield frame, bumpers, landau bars, etc, etc, etc

Plating bill must been more than my house!

Attached Images Attached Images    

We Can Be Heroes

. . . French cars --- matchy-matchy

Bugatti --- Type 35 (guessing). Gotta love a car held that' together with safety wire. And no plastic or software in this little choo-choo, no sirree

'38 Peugeot Darl'mat Roadster. Lovely little car --- so simple/straight-forward compared to most the other cars, here. I'm sure the seats suck but love that dash. Scarf Guy looks like he's thinkin' about maybe jumpin' in

Elemental motoring, here --- cars I could run/tune/keep alive/enjoy indefinitely . . . with only hand-tools + a little practice

We Can Be Heroes

. . . really staring to dig on some of the late pre-war cars --- especially the exotics . . .

. . . like this Delahaye. Most cars from this era look to me like little more than tractors with back seats. But this looks different. Once the Designers close up the elevations between the tops of the engine covers and the tops of the fenders, things really start to sleek-up. This 135M has a de-tuned Grand Prix engine in it (?), but with looks like this it could be a pedal car for all I care. Love all the little flicks + dashes of chrome, fighter-pilot of a cockpit

Awwww --- now we're talking. Leave it to the Italians to push car design with things like this Alfa Romeo. Trim is disappearing, fenders and bodies are molding together and all upright-ness and angularity and rationality are transforming into something smoother and more intuitive. Beautifully built --- again, look at the way that windshield fits. (Crack that and no one's gonna be calling Safelite) Love this whole look --- especially at the front . . . where lights and fenders and grills are all coming together into a proper face, set-off with mustache bumpers. Style-wise? --- this car just blows me away

Last edited by LongRanger; 05-01-2022 at 05:17 PM.

We Can Be Heroes

. . . 'nother Bugatti

Odd collection of shapes, again. Front fuselage looks like something outta the 20s --- engine cover 's all angular/upright, not-all-that-distinctive (to my bloodshot eyes), 'cept for the radiator shell . . . but then the fenders and rear bodywork start to show a drama that's completely missing from the weird louvered front

But/then --- there are those little fillips, subtle smackings hinting at the OCD of the Designers . . .

. . . like the sweet little 'peak' formed into the tail. Instead of ending everything with one smooth swipe of sheet metal --- Bugatti finishes it off with a little flourish . . . right down to the number plate

Now --- go back and look at that Alfa . . . and check-out the bodywork at the top + bottom o' the windshield

Needless detail = total show-off

All this peerless/pointless metalwork --- reminds me of the trunk cover on this certain Graber Packard I saw --- years, ago, now . . .
    https://www.early911sregistry.org/fo...l=1#post476292

We Can Be Heroes

. . . more Alfa

Less trim --- or more, hard-top --- or not, discs --- or wires

Does it matter? Running boards are gone, spares stashed --- all that's left is metal in motion . . . and juuuust enough room for two. Imagine taking one o' these out for dinner. Or a little vay-kay . . . or the dog park. Hell --- park this in any driveway and I betcha that home value 'll shoot-up

Instead? --- miracles like this sit in storage . . . waiting for a show like Pebble to peek out at the sunshine. Criminal. 'Cause, seeing shapes like this remind me of why I love cars

Talk about Original Gangster . . .

. . . I mean --- think about it. How many Rods + Customs 'll take this same look, this sort o' approach? . . . 20 years later?

How 'bout today?

And what would a George Barris --- or a Boyd Coddington . . . make o' sumpin' like these?

We Can Be Heroes

. . .

Different takes on styling --- c/o Bugatti, Voisin, and Talbot-Lago . . . '36, '35, and '37, respectively

Bugatti's riveted-together body-work always struck me as odd. Signature profile, still. Doors remind me of an aircraft

Voisin's arched roof + flat plank side have me thinking of Citroen's 2CV. Wish I could get a better look at the interior, though

Fantastic shapes + details on that Talbot --- courtesy of Figoni et Falaschi. Hard to tell perhaps in these pics but very compact. But I can only imagine tapping a curb with that rocker deco

We Can Be Heroes

. . . prolly my all-time favorite 'Olde' car

If I ever had one --- it would never-ever-EVER look this good . . . at least, not for long

Blue interior looks pretty high-speed . . .

. . . but I keep waiting to see one in green

And --- unless it's OG . . . can we just skip the tartan, please?

Last edited by LongRanger; 05-29-2022 at 08:59 PM.

We Can Be Heroes

. . . 3-liter 4-banger, 225 hp

Card says 735 S Monza --- but also 'Scaglietti.' Depending on your sources, this car was damaged/repaired by Scaglietti and concurrently updated to 750-spec

Whatever. Pretty-pretty car . . . especially for 1953

Lotsa horsies

We Can Be Heroes

. . . Zagato'd Maserati

At first glance, thought there might be room for some passengers in back, but? . . .

. . . nuhp

Kinda busy-bodywork for Zagato, IMO --- scoops, vents, w/chrome + misc flourishes . . . plus switch-gear WAY over on the passenger's side o' the dash? (Hope there's nothing important, over there.) And gotta love those zero-protection (what looks like) alu bumpsters. But is this thing slinky/low-looking or what?

We Can Be Heroes

. . .

Mercedes-Benz W194 --- precursor to the W198 aka 300SL aka 'Gullwing' . . .

. . . one of 10, circa 1952

~2500 lbs + (only!) 175 hp = 160 mph

Never raced, apparently?

Not so-handsome a car, IMO. Think MBz did a good job of dressing this up to sell the Gullwing

We Can Be Heroes