Thread: Nerdy Radio Question

Nerdy Radio Question

I have just reinstalled my original Blaupunkt Frankfurt US radio in my 1968 L that I had overhauled. This is the original radio whose serial number was specified on my Kardex so I wanted to keep this original part of the car intact. It’s been way too long since I had it working so it looks great and sounds just right!

My question for you guys is: Should there be a backlight when the headlights are on and when it’s turned on? Mine is dark, and it’s been so long since this has been working that I honestly can’t remember if it’s supposed to be lit up. Thanks for setting me straight on this!

Name:  03B64AE3-566E-4A48-A976-8DBD9265054C.jpg
Views: 265
Size:  154.6 KB
    Last edited by 911L Guy; 09-01-2021 at 06:08 PM.
    Early 911S Reg #3096
    "Chester" - 1968 911 L, Fully Restored, Numbers Matching, Tangerine Orange on the original 5 1/2 x 15 Fuchs wheels
    "The Beast" - 2010 911 4S Cab, Triple Black, 6 Speed MT, SSK, PSE with Fabspeed Sport Headers and 200-Cell Cats
    "The Truck" - 2019 Cayenne Turbo, Jet Black, Sport Chrono, PSE, Rear Axle Steering & PSCB Brakes (for haulin' stuff... fast)
    ”Blue” - 2023 911 Turbo S Cab, Gentian Blue over Deviated Black Leather with PSE & PCCB’s

I just looked at that on my 67 Frankfurt. Radio on, red power lt lights up on radio face. No backlight that I could see. Backlight comes on with headlight switch and red stays on. It's a 67 but maybe the same wiring.Nice looking cabin by the way.
    Steve Shea #1 joined a long time ago
    58 speedster
    66 912
    67S
    73S
    97 VW eurovan
    1132 honda snowblower

member Jackson Hole Ski Club

Yes, the dial should light. The correct bulb is the Osram 3370.

The dial backlight should turn on when the radio is turned on regardless if the headlights are on or off. That radio does not have a separate illumination wire that would get connected to the cars light circuit, so if your driving at night with lheadlights on and radio off there will be no dial backlight, only when radio turned on.

Diallight for Blaupunkt radios are the BA7S 12 Volt bulb

A follow on curiousity question. Because these era of radios could be run either 6 volt or 12 volt, what implications does this have for the bulb(s)? For example, if a Z series, factory set at 12 volts, is reset at its switch to 6 volt, for placement in, say, a 356, one would have to change the bulb, yes?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Morris View Post
    A follow on curiousity question. Because these era of radios could be run either 6 volt or 12 volt, what implications does this have for the bulb(s)? For example, if a Z series, factory set at 12 volts, is reset at its switch to 6 volt, for placement in, say, a 356, one would have to change the bulb, yes?
    Correct, Blaupunkt radios on 6 volts need 6 volt bulbs, both BA7S type bulbs are in 6 and 12 volt available.