Thread: Targa latch repair

Targa latch repair

Has anyone figured out how to disassemble the latch to replace the new pin without destroying the latch? Or, someone who can.

Not sure year of your car, If a very early 67 the "latch Box" may be welded and will require more than the following which is bases on the general latch box.
    Assembly uses what many call a Tonka twist, male tabs put thru cut pockets and twisted / deformed to hold in place. Porsche used much shorter male tabs than the Tonka toys so a bit harder to work with.
    in looking at your latch box you will see a grey / black epoxy covering all of these tabs, take a wire brush and remove all epoxy. This will expose the tabs deformed to hold it together. carefully with pliers / vice grips straighten the tabs so they will go back thru punched pocket. NOTE!!! use care to preserve as much of these tabs as you can, you will need to push them back into the pockets and deform them again to put the box back together.
    so at this point start prying the box apart with small screwdriver then pulling it apart. NOW TAKE PICTURES of how the latch bolt gos into the cam parts, if you get that wrong and you wont know till you are done and will have to take it all apart again (ask me how I know)
    Clean & lube all parts, exchange the lock bolt & retaining hair clip spring.
    Now reassembly, you may be able to straighten the tabs a bit more while apart so the fit the pockets better, then hold box assembled in a vice or C clamps so no gaps and maximum amount of tabs is extending out of pockets. now deform the tabs to hold assembly in place (pliers, punch etc) now recover all joints again with JB Weld or your favorite epoxy and install i targa top.

Not a bad job, just a bit fiddley if that is a word, I think I posted a thread here a few years back with pictures, should still have some pics but heading out for a couple days.

I see one post and you may not be able to do PM's yet, Welcome to the group, I should be back with internet on Tuesday if you have issues.

Also while on this, how many out there have the welded latch box?? my mid run 67 912 SWT has the welded box, I have a early 68 top that has the Tonka tabs which continued for all years (I think) wondering when the switch was made and how many may be out there. Can post pictures if old thread is not found on my return.

Best Regards

member #1515
    I think Stoddard used to offer a rebuild service on these.
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs