Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seized Clutch

Seized Clutch

Hi all,

I have a '70 911E. My car has been sitting for a few months and the weather here has been extremely wet this year. When I went out today to drive the car, I could not get it into gear without the gear box grinding. After trying several things, I put the car on jack stands, put it into 5th gear, with clutch pedal depressed and foot on the brake, I tried starting the car. It would not break free. Before I pull the engine out, does anyone have any other ideas on ways to break the pressure plate free? I believe my clutch cable is in good shape as I had it out about a year ago and that looked good at the time and I believe I have plenty of through on the clutch fork.

Thanks

Chris

Try using the starter with the wheels on the ground. To be super safe remove a lead from the coil to prevent the engine from starting. With the wheels on the ground you can also try (perhaps with a friend or two) pushing the car forward and back to break the bond. The last time this happened to me I opened the garage door, put the car in reverse and engaged the starter. By the time the car was outside the engine had started and the clutch was free. Technique employed depends on your willingness to accept risk.

I’ve had it happen to me twice this year in my 69S. First time I had to start the car in gear and drive it almost a quarter mile before the plate let loose. Second time it broke loose in about 3 feet and before the engine started. Seems to be a rare but not unheard of occurrence. Fortunately I live in a sparsely populated neighborhood.
    1969 911S
    1969 Datsun 2000...worth less, but more valuable

Put the car in 1st gear and start it, then while doing a hard acceleration depress the clutch. The torque will break free the clutch. Rob

Rob - I presume that I start the car in 1st while on the ground and not on jack stands. Correct?

Quote Originally Posted by chris belyea View Post
    Rob - I presume that I start the car in 1st while on the ground and not on jack stands. Correct?
    Yes: by driving the car and accelerating with the clutch pedal depressed, you are putting a lot of torque through the clutch. I have seen this problem several times with cars stored in damp environments. Plan your drive, it usually takes less than 1/4 mile. It always worked for me. Rob

Yep...just today the clutch on my ‘69 911S seized (after sitting for two months). I started her in gear and the clutch broke loose immediately. Seems to happen regularly with ‘69 S’s.

Alan
    N.J.
    Alan
    N.J.

1964 E-Type roadster
    1969 911S
    1988 328GTB
    2002 Maranello

With so many reports of 69’s having this issue, it seems logical the the one year only S specific thin clutch may be the culprit.
    1969 911S

Beign the owner of a '69S, I would bet that there aren't many left out there with the original thin ($$$) disc. Many have been replaced with the standard, and readily available Pressure Plate and Disc. I will be going to Kennedy to see what they have for the '69S soon.
    Bob B
    Last edited by SIMI BOB; 09-13-2021 at 09:56 PM.

Bob, you may be right. I searched for over a year to find just the disc and after another year or so I found a pressure plate and disc combo and bought that just to get the plate. Well at least I now have a spare disc. I suppose a lot of owners will just go with the standard setup instead of spending the time and money to procure the proper clutch. One of the best features of the 69s is it’s peaky power band, and the lightweight clutch contributes to it. The concept is similar to a light flywheel, just not as pronounced.
    1969 911S