Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Seized Clutch

If the car is not going to be driven for a while, what ever happened to the time proven practice of using a stick to partially depress the clutch pedal.

Quote Originally Posted by SIMI BOB View Post
    Beign the owner of a '69S, I would bet that there aren't many left out there with the original thin ($$$) disc. Many have been replaced with the standard, and readily available Pressure Plate and Disc. I will be going to Kennedy to see what they have for the '69S soon.
    Bob B
    So as I've worked on my car, I have found that the previous owner replaced several parts on the car from what ever they had or could find. I'm not saying that my clutch and pressure plate is from a '69S but since that is a unique year, what does the clutch and pressure plate look like?

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Theunz View Post
    With so many reports of 69’s having this issue, it seems logical the the one year only S specific thin clutch may be the culprit.
    Yes, my ‘69S has the thin, lightweight clutch. I may try the stick-on-the-clutch-pedal trick suggested by ejboyd5 to avoid the sticking problem in the future.

Alan
    N.J.
    Alan
    N.J.

1964 E-Type roadster
    1969 911S
    1988 328GTB
    2002 Maranello

Always great tech discussions and fixes here. That special 1969 911S clutch does make a difference in how these engines rev. Years ago a friend with one was broke and needy. I gave him a fine clutch but it wasn't exact spec. As soon as he could afford it he swapped back to the correct parts. I had to admit it did make enough difference I thought it was worth it [even more so a few years later when I owned the car! Never should have sold it... famous last words.]

Quote Originally Posted by chris belyea View Post
    So as I've worked on my car, I have found that the previous owner replaced several parts on the car from what ever they had or could find. I'm not saying that my clutch and pressure plate is from a '69S but since that is a unique year, what does the clutch and pressure plate look like?

Chris
    I have never had my hands on the normal clutch, but visually I don’t think that you could tell the difference. The S disc is slightly thinner but unless you had them side to side it would probably be had to tell. The clamping plate on the S pressure plate is an aluminum alloy. It is slightly magnetic, but you can feel the magnetic pull difference between the clamping plate and the steel housing.
    1969 911S
    1969 Datsun 2000...worth less, but more valuable

Thought I saw once that either the flywheel or the face of the aluminum PP was surfaced with copper. Anyone have any info on that?
    Bob B

IIRC the 67S had the copper coated plate.
    1969 911S
    1969 Datsun 2000...worth less, but more valuable

So a quick update on my seized clutch. I dropped the engine and it turned out to be a seized pressure plate, or at least that's what I concluded. When I removed the pressure plate, the clutch just fell out so I don't think the clutch itself was stuck. The 3 guides on which the pressure plate slides on had a lot of corrosion. I went ahead and replaced the clutch and pressure plate since I didn't know how long they've been on the car.

Chris