Thread: The Porsche 911 cars are way too high in price

The Porsche 911 cars are way too high in price

I have a 1972 Porsche 911T that I got an offer for way more than I paid for it. Not selling.

I have a 2020 Porsche 911 that my dealer is trying to buy back. Not selling.

You guys have seen it in the market. I think it is temporary up-tick in the market and not a long term opportunity. Sell it today if you are a short-time owner.

I think the car market will follow the stock/bond market.
    Doc
    1972 Porsche 911
    2023 Porsche 911 Turbo
    2019 Ford Mustang Shelby GT350

I'm seeing the same. Giving some thought to whether I should sell my '72T coupe, and what I'd buy to replace it if I did. Hard call right now. While I mull it over, I'll be taking it on a spirited club drive next weekend. We'll see how I feel about selling after a few hundred miles of fun...
    - Arne
    Current - 2018 718 Cayman, Rhodium Silver, PDK

Sold - 1972 911T coupe, Silver Metallic; 1984 911 Carrera coupe, Chiffon white; 1973 914 2.0, Saturn Yellow; 1984 944, Silver Metallic

Porsche, value investing vs. Coke..

KO.jpg

It is a product of a weakening currency; hard asset values go up because it takes more dollars to buy them. The cause is the expanding money supply.

Quote Originally Posted by Vintage Racer View Post
    I have a 1972 Porsche 911T that I got an offer for way more than I paid for it. Not selling.

I have a 2020 Porsche 911 that my dealer is trying to buy back. Not selling.

You guys have seen it in the market. I think it is temporary up-tick in the market and not a long term opportunity. Sell it today if you are a short-time owner.

I think the car market will follow the stock/bond market.
    With regard to your 2020, dealers are being given allocations for 'sports cars' (they seem to have an endless supply of electric stuff and other 4 door models) as if they were rare coins. Dealerships are virtually empty of sports car inventory, so they are paying a premium for late model 911s and selling new cars for at least MSRP with the GT models typically marked up by multiples of $10K.

Quote Originally Posted by 62S-R-S View Post
    Porsche, value investing vs. Coke..
    Sorry, I get it as KO (they sell more than soft drinks).

You are saying that the big FANG stocks with their high values will do better over the next 5 years than a value stock that pays a qualified increasing dividend? It seems you are looking in the rear-view mirror?
    Doc
    1972 Porsche 911
    2023 Porsche 911 Turbo
    2019 Ford Mustang Shelby GT350

Quote Originally Posted by Vintage Racer View Post
    You are saying that the big FANG stocks with their high values will do better over the next 5 years than a value stock that pays a qualified increasing dividend? It seems you are looking in the rear-view mirror?
    Not so much Fang, but I tried to portray porsches over the long haul, as similar to owning a growth stock, that even if prices did pull back sharply, as Coke did in '20, you see what happened..

At some point the lower price creates a buzz to institutions and others that may have money underperforming, and the quality of the company appears attractive to them at bargain levels. In the same way Hagerty could announce next year that '71 - 73 cars have fallen dramatically, but is that likely to mean much 3 - 5 years down the road ?