Thread: Yet another ‘71 clutch question

Yet another ‘71 clutch question

Morning,
    Need some help on this, 71' clutch which of course is very strange. I replaced the release bearing not long ago. Recently when cold the clutch operates perfectly then when hot the engage point moves towards the floor to the point that when hot it will grind getting into reverse. Start up the next day all is good till it gets hot. Have always had a challenge getting the requested free play and a proper engage point. Ended up replacing the clutch cable, same thing. I have the aluminum clevis at engine side. Noticed that with zero tension the bowden cable is about halfway up the loop, unable to get it down any further. Bulkhead fitting looks fine, clutch petal roll pin looks fine. Odd thing is that it seems temperature related.

Any thoughts?

Thank you.

I have a 71, my clutch has been working real well for years. I am near the bay area, near santa cruz...if you want to see my car...if that helps.
    i know my brother had a metal tube break in his car...which was messing with his adjustments....
    scott

Current long term ownership: 63 Cab, 71 911, 74 914

Thanks Scott, mechanically mine seems to look fine from all appearances. I wonder if something strange is impacting the clutch disc when it heats up. I think I will adjust a bit more and drive it till winter or rain comes then take it apart, we will get some rain, right?

i think my bowden tube moves from top of the u-bracket, nearly to the bottom....but not touching bottom....i had my son push in the clutch, while i was under watching...but i am only writing from memory.
    when i read your words...it seems yours is/was moving half the distance.

if the metal tube, inside the tunnel, that is about 3 feet long, broke free from the welds...( hopefully, your cable is inside that tube) then your cable will pull different every time. and may not pull the arc very far, out of the the bowden tube.

Current long term ownership: 63 Cab, 71 911, 74 914

With no tension the bowden tube should be near the top of the u-bracket . The cable needs to be longer and loosened at the clutch pedal lever . Follow the factory manual . When you push the clutch now , the cable probably hits the bottom of the u-bracket before the clutch releases .