Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: Engine Broke 2.7 Post.

meanwhile I'm decarbonizing the valves... One question. Does the book say that exhaust valves should not be reused? Can you know why? I've decarbonized them and they don't look too bad. Once I finish this I will begin to measure them... Kill time while I am looking at the other motor issues...
    Also check the head... It doesn't look like it's cracked.

IMG_20220706_120019.jpgIMG_20220706_173131.jpgIMG_20220706_173304.jpgIMG_20220706_172328.jpgIMG_20220705_210713.jpg

I have used a bit of water sandpaper and 3 in 1 to try to remove the joints! It's going well although you need some time... 1200 sandpaper. I'll keep cleaning! waiting to know where to make the valve guides. once the guide is in place... can I make the seats myself using different polishes? or when making the guide do you need to grind the seat with machinery?IMG_20220705_211532.jpg
    I'm not touching the valve seats. I leave that for the person in charge of doing the machining... but should I leave that surface clean? I'd rather not touch it... I'll search the forum now but it asked me about the weight of each valve. I can't find reference in the book? Weigh it before decarbonizing. One of them had 8 gr of charcoal...
    Last edited by _gonbau; 07-06-2022 at 09:06 AM.

Your machine shop should have an ultrasonic cleaner or something similar. You shouldn’t be doing their job. I would get your parts from them and find a shop that knows Porsche heads. They should have come back looking like new.
    A part isn't purchased until paid.

The 9 Store LLC.

umm... at that site they told me that they didn't clean them with their machine because they would itch. but now I'm thinking.... he also told me that he didn't do it because the magnesium stings.... would you think that these heads were made of magnesium and that's why I didn't clean them? I would go to the same place and ask them to clean the parts but observing the work shown... I would look for another workshop! I will also talk to the mechanic to show him the head and see what he thinks of the "removal of the guide" job... I want to see what he says.... I understand, so can the heads be cleaned with ultrasound?The mechanic told me that when I had the parts clean, I should upload them.... seen how things are going, I think I'll finish cleaning sooner!
    I have all the pieces with me!! I still have to check if when they disassembled the connecting rods they mounted the lower part correctly
    Last edited by _gonbau; 07-06-2022 at 01:23 PM.

They are aluminum.
    A part isn't purchased until paid.

The 9 Store LLC.

member #1515
    Which book are you referencing? How does a machine shop not know the difference between aluminum and magnesium?
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

member #1515
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

I have both... today's to rebuild and modify by wayne is the one I'm looking more "deeply"... And good question. The rectification workshop told me that they had had another client who had had complaints, etc... As if they were afraid of the parts. But... if he saw them in person, how could he not differentiate alu from magnesium? ... is a great question. When I told the mechanic that the grinding machine had told me that they did not deal with cleaning because the cylinder heads were made of magnesium, he made a strange face. The next thing he told me was that once they were clean, he would take them to him so he could see them. I guess I noticed something strange in the "rectifier's" response... and certainly... I hadn't paid attention to whether it was a metal or another yta that I was not going to deal with it... now that I am doing it, I think I can say that it is easy to distinguish alu from magnesium...

I have verified that all the guides have an excessive movement. Since the engine marks 80oooKm. Is that wear normal? What guides do you ride? Porsche standard? (I'm ignoring the oversize)
    IMG_20220707_125726.jpgIMG_20220707_125842.jpg

Where is the weight of valves?
    I am interested in knowing if today 100% of the exhaust valves are still discarded?

IGIC

simple question. Does something happen if I soak the cylinder heads in Diesel or gasoline overnight? Does gasoline affect aluminum in any way?

The plan for now will be to restore the heads. I buy the guides and some consumables more these days. Once you have the cylinder heads restored "correctly" and the valves are seated correctly. I can say that I have heads to mount on a block... Restore mine 911/92TA or buy another... We'll see. For now I'm going to focus on the heads... making them usable. I am worried about having to polish the camshaft and "rocker arms**"... I know I shouldn't ask this but... What level of wear do I face if I don't polish the cams and shaft? I read a comment in a forum in which they said that the wear was especially fast on the shaft... I understand that with 80,000km the cams have already settled in the position that should go with the shaft... I must understand that when rebuilding the engine the odometer was reset to 0 or the engine does not seem to have 80000 km? I say this because I would like to know about the wear of the rocker arms**. I look at the cams and see that "friction" is not the same in all of them. Some touch more in the center than others etc and I understand that this is where "the problem" is, having lost order.... If now I seat another cam that already has wear, but it begins to wear elsewhere... .The problem would be the camshaft and wear on the wrist correct? I've tried to look at where everything could go... I thought about taking an ink signature of the rocker arm* and then trying to see if it matches the tree but I see it as a stupid process and with 0% probability of working... But I try to think something before spending the money....

+
    Last edited by _gonbau; 07-07-2022 at 10:41 AM.