Thread: Puma - Porsche - PEC Leipzig

Puma - Porsche - PEC Leipzig

After my visit to the PEC Hockenheimring (https://www.early911sregistry.org/fo...Hockenheimring) Moritz spoke to me about a Puma campaign at PEC Leipzig. Here Puma's new "Targa" collection is presented and he is looking for a few old 911 Targas that will be positioned as eye-catchers at the entrance. Targas owners have the opportunity to test drive current Porsche models. I spontaneously agree to come.

On August 31, 2021, around noon, I set off for Leipzig with my Porsche 911 S Targa oil flap. The driving time on country roads is a little over 10 hours, so I prefer to drive the motorway, which cuts the driving time by about half.

Name:  01.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  81.5 KB

The S-engine purrs like a kitten on the 315 miles to Leipzig. It's not a problem to keep up with modern cars. Nevertheless, I find it impressive how vehicle technology has developed over the past 50 years.

In autumn 1971 the Porsche 911 S was king on the Autobahn in Germany.
    Back then, my family was still a long way from owning a Porsche. In 1986 my father gave me his old MB / 8 220 Diesel from 1971 with 60 HP to go on vacation with part of the clique ( http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...light=Calabria ) from Stuttgart to Andalusia (Spain) .

Name:  02.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  76.6 KB
    1986, somewhere in the south of France, you slept outside on an air mattress

A total of around 2900 miles there and back. From today's perspective, the / 8 was really tough, but normal at the time! In this respect, I know what the “mid-range vehicles” built in the early 1970s could do.
    I am currently driving a mid-range vehicle again to get to the office, as is an MB 220 diesel. However, this one here has 179 hp, automatic, air conditioning, ABS, electric windows, …… Even at 160 mph the car feels like a very comfortable sedan, very different from the old MB / 8. If someone had seen this car in 1971, it would surely have been said that it came from another planet!

In Leipzig, the "Targa Gang" (2xF, 3xG and 1x964) stayed at the Hotel Steigenberger, where a get-together with canapés, drinks and the invited press representatives and influencers also takes place in the evening.

Name:  03.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  160.3 KB

After a short night we drive quickly to the PEC Leipzig and position our Targas at the entrance.

Name:  4.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  103.0 KB

Name:  05.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  86.8 KB

The presentation of the new “Targa” collection from Puma will then take place in the PEC.

Name:  06.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  132.7 KB

Then we can visit the production facility for Panamera and Macan with the assembly hall, but unfortunately no photos can be taken.

Name:  07.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  128.4 KB

After all of this was "very exhausting", there is lunch in the PEC restaurant as a refreshment. Between the individual dishes, I take a look at the vehicles on display in the PEC and the vehicles in the courtyard.

Sequel follows!
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Golden greetings
    Andreas

Looking for the engine 6320484
    MY 1972 2.4S Targa
    MY 1973 T with gentle updates
    MY 1988 560 SL
    MY 1965 Giulia Super

After lunch we are really challenged. We drive current Porsche models.

"Pairs" are formed, who take turns as driver and co-driver on the way. Franziska, a freelance auto journalist, and I form a team.

First and foremost are the “heavyweights” Cayenne (yes, I've already heard that there are now some with over 185 mph), which we test on an off-road course, on which wild horses and aurochs can also be found. We drive up ramps with an 80% gradient, cross water ditches, mud fields and sloping slopes. So basically everything that comes under the wheels on the way to shopping .......

Name:  11.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  151.1 KB

Name:  12.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  119.8 KB

Not bad, but where are the "real" Porsches now?
    Ah yes there you are:

Name:  13.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  108.6 KB

There are again 10 Porsches for 20 people, but now there are five 911s and five Cayman. We use it to drive part of the 3.7 km long FIA-certified track that cites famous sections of the racetrack (e.g. Spa-Francorchamps, Nürburgring, Monza, Shizuoka). As usual, 2 people per car and you follow an instructor one after the other. After every 2 laps you switch to the vehicle in front and the driver and front passenger change positions.

I'll start with a Cayman S. That feels good. However, the vehicle in front of us drives relatively slowly, which tarnishes the enjoyment a bit. But I immediately notice the 350 hp and the very good brakes.

Name:  14.jpg
Size:  71.3 KB

Franziska and I take turns and have a lot of fun.

Name:  15.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  89.1 KB

During the last 2 laps the thoughtful drivers who drove in front of us have disappeared (passed through to the rear) and I can enjoy the 450 hp with the Carrera S.
    The "bus stop in Spa-Francorchamps" is awesome and my favorite place.

And is there an improvement now? Yes there is!

Two laps of “Passenger Rides” with a GTR3. The 3 guys at the wheel (all around 25 years old and already 15 years of experience in motorsport) let it rip. The bang on the trip is the hill, which is modeled on the "corkscrew" of Laguna Seca. It's more drifting than driving.

http://vimeo.com/manage/videos/604583466

I'm the co-driver in the silver GT3 and I have to say that I can just as easily accelerate on the straight. But let go of the gas and shortly before the bend, brake with all your might and yet carefully and shoot through the bends, that's really a completely different league!

After the brilliant final point, everyday life on the motorway quickly catches up with me again, there is a traffic jam and I drive on the country road for a while. Later back on the freeway the approx. 315 miles home.

Name:  16.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  37.0 KB

Another note “on my own behalf”, I don't get my salary from either Puma or Porsche (ok, I've accepted the Puma giveaways / goodies

Name:  17.jpg
Size:  83.8 KB

and hope that Porsche will deliver the GT3 to me soon).
    Golden greetings
    Andreas

Looking for the engine 6320484
    MY 1972 2.4S Targa
    MY 1973 T with gentle updates
    MY 1988 560 SL
    MY 1965 Giulia Super