Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Dickie Stoop RHD 1965/66? 911 UK reg DAA911C info

^^^^ Welcome! Great first post!! Hope to see more good commentary.
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

Quote Originally Posted by BiggP View Post
    Hi, just wanted to add to this thread. Recently I have been doing some work for Chris Maltin, I asked him about the historika YOU4 thing and he says they tried to take ownership of that numberplate through the dvla - but couldn't because it is his. It is on a 1968 2.8 porsche 911 which makes no sense but I haven't asked him about it yet. He also said Dickie Stoop left it to him in his will.Attachment 611446

I absolutely adore you 4 with a proper Oris trailer hook...
    59 750 pre unit triton
    63 650 gray silver bikinitub triumph thunderbird
    70 650 astralred silver triumph bonneville
    65 912 slate gray "erwin"
    73 914 ravennagreen "ferdl"
    erwin_loves_polo

Quote Originally Posted by haul View Post
    I absolutely adore you 4 with a proper Oris trailer hook...
    Some bloke in a cardigan and matching hat at Silverstone handing around behind the old pit garages with the next number plate on his Porsche

Name:  IMG_3499.jpeg
Views: 55
Size:  62.8 KB

Think he might have been some kind of musician and became F1 groupie following the circuit around the world in that period ?
    Name:  IMG_1735.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  86.5 KB

The two letters “OU” in the suffix system denoted Oxfordshire but the format suggests it is actually a plate that was acquired specifically as a personalised plate rather than being original to either 911 which would’ve had a age suffix.

It was 1979 I think at the Gunnar Nielson Cancer Relief event with his black turbo. A gold Porsche of his wife also attended event which was organised for the charity by Chris Maltin.

Gunnar was a Swedish F1 driver with Team Lotus. One win.
    This video is event another at Donnington circuit in the midlands
    https://youtu.be/QaD5NePOKXA

I think the money raised from these fairly high profile charity events went to the Charring Cross Hospital in Hammersmith west London where he had been treated. Maltin were clearly behind the fundraising seems they had a demo car with stickers for the appeal
    Name:  IMG_3510.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  147.0 KB

Maltin sold several of the last couple of rhd First series RS —both rhd the 050x vin range so just inside the first series quota. However Maltins business didn’t appear in the list of official dealers ( those listed in maroon silver service locations book or other uk dealer lists I have) within the Porsche Cars GB network until a year or two later ? I understand he and his family were friendly with the Aldingtons who owned the Porsche sole concession in UK and I think they might’ve lived in same Thames valley area so I suppose it makes sense that he and his father would have had connections. Also heard he was known to do servicing and race prep modification work on Porsche from premises at his parents rural place. Maltin did become official dealer iirc serving Henley on Thames area so maybe the paperwork showing the dealership lists of 72/3 had a lag or these sales deals were priming the pump of Maltin getting the eponymous business certified in the official Porsche GB dealer service network mid 70s.

Would be interested to hear Chris Maltin’s recollection of the events around this 72/3 era and the gestation of his business as know owners of these Maltin sold RS who were curious how sold by him.

Being in position to reserve and sell on
    two out of a small 51 quota of just RS a from the initially planned limited edition special at that point is intrigung : did Chris rather enterprisingly nab a couple of the rhd quota to broker their sales to clamouring demand from customers when it suddenly became clear this particular model was selling out the 500 fast at Paris Earls Court launch? Alternatively was he rather decently stepping in to help out his friends the owners of PCGB by taking a couple of the rhd quota when it was feared these stripped out things might struggle sell but they needed to do the UK bit to quickly find firm orders to help factory hit homologation quantity and date?
    Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 47
Size:  86.0 KB

Steve
    Last edited by 911MRP; 02-01-2024 at 06:59 AM.