Thread: New 904 GTS

New 904 GTS and more important machines

Circa March 1964 Dickie Stoop with his brand new 904 GTS chassis 904-045 photographed by Van Hallen at the Fraser Nash factory in London Road, Isleworth, West of London. This was before the establishment of Porsche Cars Great Britain as a business entity several year later. Faser Nash/ AFN Ltd were the sole Porsche concessionaire in Great Britain. Car is still on German (Zoll) export plates but soon received the distinctive plate YOU4. The car is dark green.
    067333AC-D909-4138-8369-6ED7B2AB3F06.jpg

The same car was participating at the Goodwood Revival near the English south coast this weekend; still green and at some point reunited with its distinctive personalised licence plate.

First owner “Dickie” Stoop was an RAF pilot who had flown from Westhampnett airfield during WWII; the very place that is now the race track and airstrip that hosts the Goodwood Revival and puts on wonderful air displays of Spitfires etc as part of the event.

There were probably a dozen Spitfires at the event this weekend ( much fewer than previous years) including this one that is being restored
    8E0145C1-15B2-481D-B52E-0656E2020C89.jpg
    34167394-F0A8-4BB3-9B7F-C026B53225C2.jpg
    Fly past over the Goodwood Revival by two Spitfires just as I left event on a lovely warm late summer eve — appearing as two small specs in the blue sky:
    28D53A1D-0409-4BBA-87FD-8723F750B37E.jpg

Flying above the revellers at the “over the road” entertainment on Friday just after the twilight race had ended (below):
    Steve
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by 911MRP; 09-19-2021 at 10:56 AM.

Possibly the same car late 68 by which time the unfortunate Stoop had died. Car pictured was in possession of a known Porsche dealer; suspect it is the by then three year old ex Stoop car, but not certain.

86AE4562-95B2-4B6D-B218-2D2D40C3C391.jpg
    However this is certainly “Dickie” Stoop, and his brand new green 904GTS photo by Bates/Van Hallen taken outside AFN/ Fraser Nash in London Road with one Adlington brother’s who owned the GB sole Porsche concessionaire — W.H. (Bill) I believe.

CAC7AE2F-DE65-453A-9895-B4363D6FA7D7.jpg

Sign for Porsche arque visible ( below) although still several years before formation of Porsche Cars Great Britain as an entity within AFN Ltd so technically concessionaire Fraser Nash/AFNLtd.

0A9DADFF-35A7-4A14-B3EB-A047C12E61A8.jpg

Despite other newer dealer premises the London Road building was still used when I got my RS in early nineties. The day I picked it up I had to drive it there directly to have manufacturer approved security fitted as a strict requirement of the insurer. The chap who had fitted the importer radios, aerial and other electrical accessories datong back to 60s lived around the corner and was still available a contractor by special arrangement. He did the security system work at London Road for me. He would’ve fitted the aerial and radio there when my car was new — should’ve asked him a bunch of questions but didn’t think to do so at time. I might still have his business card on the history file but will be quite an advanced age now if still alive. Had a few small jobs done there by him on early years; mainly small electrical gremlins on accessories or maybe lights as i didn’t trust the skills in the shiny new corporate look AFN dealerships in Chiswick and Guildford.

The London Road facility was purpose built to be the Fraser Nash factory in 1920s by Aldington family. That was before they also took to importing German marques but with success in Porsche they outgrew the site by early/ mid 70s; sadly London Road building was demolished and replaced by a block of apartments in the noughties. I went past on way to a classic car show at Syon Park recently. Automotive history erased, but that progress I suppose. Nothing to see now. London Apprentice is a pleasant riverside pub to quench a thirst after traipsing around a car show. Went there with another long term owner of RHD RS and a friend who owns a late fifties Dino.
    F11D7F0D-46A1-42E8-AE0D-773D6D5682B5.jpeg

The wonderful old automotive book store in the centre that used to be there in that era also relocated — it used to be a regular haunt for interesting or obscure titles before the internet. Not just while waiting for work to be but as a Saturday visit to see what was new.

Steve
    Last edited by 911MRP; 09-20-2021 at 05:42 AM.

For sale advert presumably the same 904 asking just £4 k ? I was probably the owner of Raleigh Chopper at that time

6A8A856E-775E-48C7-90B1-9B4D0237F9D5.jpg

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by 911MRP View Post
    For sale advert presumably the same 904 asking just £4 k ? I was probably the owner of Raleigh Chopper at that time

6A8A856E-775E-48C7-90B1-9B4D0237F9D5.jpg

Steve

That's quite obvious THE irish green 904 from Mr. Stoop. The Reg Number is not that clear, but can be deciphered.
    Very nice find. Where had it been? Also Autosport?

It reminds me to the 904-025 from Stirling Moss:
    In the AUTOSPORT Magazine from May 17th, 1968 there is in the adverts section, page 47, listed under "racing cars" the following ad for the 904.

"EX-MOSS PORSCHE 904 STS.
    Approx 600 miles since rebuilt at Stuttgart.
    Certain club winner or fabulous road car.
    BP 1980 . Tel: Ripley (Surrey) 3123"

https://www.early911sregistry.org/fo...t=borneo+green

br

haul
    Last edited by haul; 02-19-2023 at 11:25 PM.
    59 750 pre unit triton
    63 650 gray silver bikinitub triumph thunderbird
    70 650 astralred silver triumph bonneville
    65 912 slate gray "erwin"
    73 914 ravennagreen "ferdl"
    erwin_loves_polo

Between Autosport and Motor Sport there is a fantastic resource published in the U.K. — sometimes the classified adverts are the most interesting read. Through my work I became friends with the late Peter Foubister who started his career on the rally desk at Autosport and rose to become its Editor then on to a senior role in Haymarket publishing group. Great host known for organising wonderful events such as the Autosport awards. Not sure which magazine it’s from as lost the context — possibly frim Motor Sport? Photo is obviously taken outside Fraser Nash Cars Ltd (AFN were the sole concessionaire for Porsche GB and a retailer) in Isleworth West of London. The place I mention in the prior post. Whenever possible I used to take my car there for work in preference to the silver grey corporate look AFN buildings while both operated in parallel. PCGB/ AFN were based there many years before outgrew the site which had been the old Fraser Nash works owned by the Aldington family — it had character but was sadly demolished to become an anonymous block of apartments

For some Aston Martin is associated with Newport Pagnell and David Brown but from 1926 to 1957 it was at Victoria Road, Feltham, and Hanworth Park, Feltham about ten minutes from Falcon Works in London Road Isleworth and had links to Aldington brothers who had their fingers in many things automotive for decades. Just one other example of the “treasure” in those classified ads:

BCEEA116-289F-4630-A392-B50CD4C28F55.jpeg

Steve
    Last edited by 911MRP; 02-20-2023 at 12:08 AM.