Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Show Us Your Wristwatch . . .

I just have one, a 1970 Omega Seamaster

My friends all have Rolex's, I must make amends

image2.jpeg

image1.jpeg
    Last edited by dca911t; 10-12-2021 at 07:32 AM.
    David C. Allen
    1970 911T 2.2

Fun thread. Russ- love your thrift shop chrono. I’ll give 2x what you paid. Ha. What a find! I’m not as well-versed as others but am fascinated too by watches and have been since high school. I have a chrono that my wife got for me w the 7750 in it, and it’s surprising how some articles I’ve read poo poo the movement while others applaud its success.
    1968 911S
    1986 Carrera
    2006 Carrera S

1973 BMW 3.0CS - Frances (gone but not forgotten)

My collection is much more modest. I am too cheap to spring for the really cool, uber expensive watches. But if I did, it would be a thin Omega Titanium.

These are mine:

The Seiko was the first real watch I bought in 1975.

My wife bought me the Invicta as a gift about 20 years ago.

The Two Citizen Eco-drives came later. First the SS one and then the gold one.

This year, my wife got me the self winding Tissot.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Harry

Member #789
    1970 VW Sunroof Kombi Bus - "The Magic Bus"
    1973.5 911T Targa for fun - "Smokey"
    2009 MB C300

Watches

I have always enjoyed owning and wearing watches. My “go to” daily ones are my 356 and 911 watches. Very dependable and easy to wear.

69A2C752-9E80-4487-88B4-1D595F31EEE8.jpg

Chopard Mille Miglia - Speed Yellow (yup I had a 50% share in a 1999 Speed Yellow GT3) PLUS the strap is modelled on a Dunlop Tyre (match my Surname). Bloody shame the serial number was not 358 but we cannot win them all
    Nick D - Run Flat

1973 RHD 911 Carrera RS #0358 - Fun Car
    2016 Cayenne Diesel - Tow Car
    2017 Macan S - Better Half's Car

1955 356 Speedster SOLD
    1976 911 2.7 SOLD
    2006 Cayman S SOLD
    2006 Cayenne S SOLD
    2008 Carrera S F77 SOLD
    2011 Cayenne S TOTALLED (T-Boned but kept us safe)
    2015 Macan S SOLD
    2015 GT3 - Track Car
    2016 Cayenne SOLD
    2016 Cayenne GTS TOTALLED (Bloody big deer)

Still looking for 1st Edition Carrera RS book #358.

Life is way too short to drive boring cars.

Quote Originally Posted by LongRanger View Post
    . . . sorry --- dunno the reference number off-hand . . . I'll check the warranty card, get back with it, later. Old watch, though . . . circa early 2000s

2nd watch I ever bought for myself

Read about Omega producing a new kind of movement, ~2000? --- something they called the ‘co-axial escapement’ --- more, here . . .

https://wornandwound.com/the-co-axia...rological-hit/

. . . and originally introduced at a trade show (?), as I remember. Anyway, this is a modern design (invented 1976, patented 1980) intended to reduce the amount of friction experienced by the movement --- and thereby supposedly increasing service intervals and improving longevity

I thought the whole idea of the movement was cool

Came in three versions originally: steel, yellow gold, and rose gold

I like steel for practical reasons --- more robust + less flash. Not a particularly thin or light watch, or super-accurate (off ~3 minutes/mo), but I really like the big clean-looking face (especially in gray), small calendar window, and discrete details --- like the blue steel sweep-second + red-tipped 24-hour hands, tidy font. Simple + elegant lugs w/ a leather deployment band for comfort. I like to just look at it! Pretty much invisible when I wear it, though . . . ‘cept maybe by Watch People

Wouldn’t afford it when these were new. Ended-up finding a Dealer in Oz who had one used, about 11 years, ago. I use my stuff, anyway, and this came with its OG box, factory paperwork, warranty card, etc, so I was good-to-go. ~$2700 (Back Then) . . . + 4 months to get through Customs = totally worth it

Haven’t seen another like it, since

Just put a new strap on it. My work watch

Oh, I like that! I have an Omega with a GMT complication, a lowly Seamaster GMT 50th Anniversary model from the late 1990s. I understand they're not that popular because of the bezel; there's a white-dialed version nicknamed "Great White" that's much more popular. Anyway, here's the only photo I have of it, on a NATO instead of either of its bracelets.

20160730_112004.jpg
    (a) 1970 911T Sportomatic coupe
    (b) 2016 E350 4MATIC wagon; parts hauler for (a)
    ESR #1474

My son who is in his 20s has several vintage Autavia’s this is his GMT 11630 867DBD08-15B4-4377-B7BC-C79C485B3911.jpg

His godfather is very much a watch guy so advises him on such things — this is a photo of his GMT along with with several quite sought after period brochures price list and so forth that I happed to have, that are now his too. I’m pleased he appreciates the advice and likes such things when many of his generation probably use smart phones and /or smart watch.

I’m not really a watch guy — the handful of watches I own seem to fit different activities however.

I like wearing my AP RO midsize. I heard the original Genta “jumbo” a “luxury sports watch” around 1972 was a brave disruptive move that reportedly played a big role in saving the Swiss high quality watch industry when it was under pressure from quartz watches. Others are more knowledgable than me about watches I’m sure, so will know the details of that AP history better than I do but my watch-loving pal tells me it was important at the time and Genta was a genius. It is what I reached for to go to a motorsport industry engineering conference and technology showcase event at Silverstone yesterday. The crispness of the RO in simple stainless steel seemed most apt of my available watch options for the day.

784A3EF8-6B47-423A-A4FD-59F349A2B991.jpg
    Incidentally a lone Aston was lapping (noisily) during most of McLaren’s talk / session in the Wing. I thought it was McLaren hypercar ( Senna or Longtail) and that had put on deliberately to promote their brand and engineering capability for the event but when I popped out on to balcony to see it turned out to be one of these: https://www.astonmartin.com/en-gb/mo...artin-valkyrie
    It was road registered, the driver had helmet being a requirement of being on track — not clear what it was doing there as didn’t get chance to pop downstairs to garage but not connected to the conference afaik. The newly renamed Aston Martin F1 team are based at Silverstone: https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.f...Vv5zqlZ9m.html
    ..so maybe it was something PR related to that. Nice noise; better than having nothing or some EV on the track.

I think the favourite of my watches is a early 70s PP — it has PPs slimmest 28-255 a so called ultra thin auto movement used sparingly by PP (and others) I’ve read. The watch is very simple and understated — I choose to wear it if I’m in a very smart suit and tie. I like the fact that few know what it is.

These days my moon-watch (that was mentioned in an earlier post above) sees less use than this inexpensive Omega Geneve f300Hz battery.
    E7873B0E-3F38-4D8E-9E00-B3729445EC37.jpg
    It is what I typically put on if just kicking about or running errands like going to post office today. I don’t find I have need to time rocket boost burns for course correction on moon missions so a watch that simply tells time and has date suits my daily needs fine. The moon watch was once the go to daily wearer if I was just going into my office in central London for smart casual business it always seemed the natural choice. While it does see occasional use it’s not now on my wrist that often particularly with COVID era changes.

Have a family Bulova in its stylish old plastic case brought by friend visiting from NJ USA who was staying with my family back in 50s — given as a little thank you to my dad I was told. Tiny watch and neat box, very much of it’s era. Just kept for sentimental reasons: not worn. Have a gold case full-hunter pocket watch inherited from my grandfather (the Tricker’s wearer) but again just kept sentimental reasons I can’t see me ever using it.

Steve
    Last edited by 911MRP; 10-15-2021 at 10:08 AM.

As I have a tendency to break stuff I am not that much wearing watches anymore.
    But this thread made me dig out some (didn't find some others) of my old watches.
    If somebody wants my collection of 4 historic HD Watches (Elgin 18K, 2x Bulova, 1x Gruen) - I might part with them - don't ride the bike - so no need for the Watches.
    IMG_0987.jpg

Here’s one I got from my Dad…
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

Just like my 68 Targa, I love patina on my watches to avoid having it mistaken for a Bangkok made watch so prevalent out there. I wear all of them because life's too short .
    60's Heuer Carrera 3647S, Breitling Geneve and Omega Seamaster circa 2007.

20211019_132207.jpg