Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Show Us Your Wristwatch . . .

Quote Originally Posted by bob joyce View Post
    . . . bet he has a story or two to tell . . .
    Hear-hear . . .

. . . maybe we can coax a few out of him?

Whaddiya say, Russ?

Last edited by LongRanger; 10-05-2021 at 03:08 PM.

We Can Be Heroes

Omega DeVille Co-axial . . .

. . . sorry --- dunno the reference number off-hand . . . I'll check the warranty card, get back with it, later. Old watch, though . . . circa early 2000s

2nd watch I ever bought for myself

Read about Omega producing a new kind of movement, ~2000? --- something they called the ‘co-axial escapement’ --- more, here . . .

https://wornandwound.com/the-co-axia...rological-hit/

. . . and originally introduced at a trade show (?), as I remember. Anyway, this is a modern design (invented 1976, patented 1980) intended to reduce the amount of friction experienced by the movement --- and thereby supposedly increasing service intervals and improving longevity

I thought the whole idea of the movement was cool

Came in three versions originally: steel, yellow gold, and rose gold

I like steel for practical reasons --- more robust + less flash. Not a particularly thin or light watch, or super-accurate (off ~3 minutes/mo), but I really like the big clean-looking face (especially in gray), small calendar window, and discrete details --- like the blue steel sweep-second + red-tipped 24-hour hands, tidy font. Simple + elegant lugs w/ a leather deployment band for comfort. I like to just look at it! Pretty much invisible when I wear it, though . . . ‘cept maybe by Watch People

Wouldn’t afford it when these were new. Ended-up finding a Dealer in Oz who had one used, about 11 years, ago. I use my stuff, anyway, and this came with its OG box, factory paperwork, warranty card, etc, so I was good-to-go. ~$2700 (Back Then) . . . + 4 months to get through Customs = totally worth it

Haven’t seen another like it, since

Just put a new strap on it. My work watch

Attached Images Attached Images

We Can Be Heroes

TAG-Heuer Formula 1 . . .

1st watch I ever bought for myself . . . ref 383.513/1 (?)

. . . got it ~30 years, ago. Originally $250?

Been over-hauled once (cost more than the thing is worth), about 4 years ago, and re-strapped about every 5

Got this model ‘cause it was cheap, waterproof, and plain . . . no flash, some stainless steel but mostly plastic, so pretty-much indestructible, with cut-to-length rubber strap

Has a nothing-special ETA quartz movement, But? --- most accurate watch I've ever owned. Even after three decades, still keeps phenomenal time . . . +/- <2 sec/mo

We Can Be Heroes

F2233B98-2BDF-4F8C-BE7E-E1864DC6AB84.jpgMine’s a Military Version of the PD Watch posted earlier. Bought it three years ago.

I bought an Omega Speedmaster as a memento of having breakfast with Buzz Aldrin our pavilion at the Paris Airshow in 2007. I was one of the hosts he was there as our guests, part of a delegation. He tried to find /reach me by phone soon after to follow-up something we had discussed when we sat down together for food — iirc about educating engineers in developing world, something he was very interested in. However with the noise of air display I missed his call so it bounced to my PA in my office in London — as a result she sent me a memorable one one liner on email saying “Buzz Aldrin is looking for you” and giving me his cell phone #

When I rang her back to ask what he wanted she hadn’t twigged who it was but commented on the unusual name “Buzz”. Her shocked reaction when I pointed out she had just spoken to the second man to walk on the moon was priceless. As a kid I watched the moon landing on TV; never could’ve imagined meeting him.

Also for a birthday my kids bought me one of the limited edition fisher space pens that has a piece of the Apollo 11 heat shield material as part of the anniversary package — they knew given that meeting I would like it.

http://www.parabolicarc.com/2009/07/...llo-space-pen/

Steve

Such a cool story, Steve... one of the first pricy watches I ever bought is a later version of the Speedmaster "Buzz Aldrin". Still affordable, and bulletproof. This one's one of my dailies.

Read the testing regimen used on these watches for NASA acceptance, it was brutal.

20211005_091834 (2).jpg

20211005_092005 (2).jpg

Jim's Porsche/Oris is an early one powered by the venerable Lemania 5100 movement. Great watches.

Here's a group of Landerdon Cal. 48 watches from French jewelers... I call these "poor man's Monacos".

20211005_104304 (2).jpg

20211005_104320 (2).jpg

20211005_104411 (2).jpg

And that Omega DeVille is sweet!
    Russ

ESR # 1537

'62 356S Notchback Hotrod
    '67 S Das Geburtstagsgeschenk
    '68 T Targa Sportomatic
    '68 L SW Targa Sportomatic
    '70 914/6 GT

That's a cool story Steve. I have one slightly related... I have a letter from Walter Cronkite that he wrote to my parents because at the time, growing up in the '60s, watching the race to the moon I evidently called the rocket ships "Konkites". Obviously I had made the association and my parents had written Walter to tell him of how funny they thought that was..

Walter got a kick out of it.

I have a '73 Hamilton UK Military (winder) that I love for its simplicity and an early '70s Omega Seamaster Deville for a dressier occasion. Have a couple of generic Tissot watches, nothing to write home about and a '40s Hamilton tanker that was my grandfathers.

I could probably finish out my watch collection with an early Hamiliton Chrono, Omega Speedmaster and a Heuer Autiva or Carrera.

I'd be happy to stop there.

The Seiko Auto Diver is my regular bumper.
    Michael
    “Electricity is really just organized lightning”

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586

Quote Originally Posted by 911MRP View Post
    . . . bought an Omega Speedmaster as a memento of having breakfast with Buzz Aldrin our pavilion at the Paris Airshow in 2007 . . .
    Any pics? . . .

. . . ya-know --- 'show'? . . .

We Can Be Heroes

and for Steve,,,,,

Clearly NOT the measure of this man,, or,,,,, maybe it is???
    Michael
    “Electricity is really just organized lightning”

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586

Quote Originally Posted by 70SATMan View Post
    and for Steve,,,,,

Clearly NOT the measure of this man,, or,,,,, maybe it is???
    I like them Michael, had a few pairs of them in my time