Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1971 Glove Box Key

1971 Glove Box Key

Hi Guys !! I was wondering if the glovebox key is the same for my ignition ?? I assume the valet key is different ..... so the valet would not steal my touch up paint !! Is it different from other years ?? And color ?? And is there someone to send my lock to who can make a key who is dependable and timely ?? Thanks !!
    Last edited by govols!; 10-11-2021 at 10:56 AM.
    George Kehler in Tennessee

1955 356 coupe
    1971 911S (knee deep in restoration)
    1997 993 Targa

I think for 71....the black key does all, opens doors, and ignition and glove box. (hood lock)
    the red key would do doors and ignition and not the glove box.

for a targa, with a hood lock, black key works....i dont know if red would do that hood pull.

i do not know what was different on the red key...probably just had one key tooth different, one tumbler that didnt retract....I would like to know...so I could make a red key.

Current long term ownership: 63 Cab, 71 911, 74 914

I just happen to have both keys on my desk. The red valet key has an additional groove cut into it. Keys are otherwise cut the same. These are genuine Porsche key blanks purchased last year using the part numbers referenced below.

Name:  Early911Keys.jpg
Views: 467
Size:  74.8 KB

Master (Black) - works all locks: ign, doors, glove box, hood

Valet (Red) - only works ignition and doors

Another thread on this topic...
    https://www.early911sregistry.org/fo...7351-Valet-key
    Early 911S Registry #3811
    '70 911S Coupe Tangerine
    Instagram @turkis.tii

Ok, please don’t hold it against me while I hijack this thread. My original 71 glovebox lock just broke. What broke was the metal tab that slides in and out to lock the glove box. I found this the same glove box lock on eBay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VW-Bug-Bus-...-127632-2357-0

Can I have a locksmith remove my original cylinder and replace it with this one including the latch? I don’t want to have multiple keys.
    James Hurst #1638
    R Gruppe #514
    911T with 2.2S Ps and Cs, Solex grind Cams and PMO 40mm

Thanks for the info. Does anyone know someone for me to send the glovebox lock to to make a key ??

1955 356 coupe
    1997 993 Targa

Sierra Madre has lock service
    I used them for a set for my 71 …
    Of course I had to send them my door handles with locks the glove box lock and when it was apart also the ignition.
    I did speak to their key/lock guy who handles this work.
    All came back in about 2 weeks and worked great .
    Give them a call
    73.5 Snrf T
    71 Snrf T
    70S targa
    76 914 2.0
    82 Targa,
    85 Alfa GTV6
    60 Lancia Appia Zagato GTE
    Searching for transmission 7115322 (911/01)

1970 2.2S Elfenbeinweiss
    1972 2.4T Targa Aubergine (MFI) [For sale]
    2002 996 TT Midnight Blue
    Member #3833

You can buy a red key blank and copy the ignition key , this will work if your ignition has not been changed . My '70 has a black valet key , they were not always red as in later years .

Thanks for all the advice !! I tried my ignition key and valet and it would not lock it. I assume one has to turn the lock counterclockwise. Both will go into the cylinder no problem and turn the knob clockwise to open. But I can just turn the knob with my hand without the key to open. We might have used another lock in restoration. Hard to remember over 10 years ago .....

1955 356 coupe
    1997 993 Targa

Anyone know of a locksmith who can key a 65-69 glove box lock?
    1959 Auratium Green 356A Super w/ Rudge wheels
    1970 Irish Green 914-6 w/2.2S
    Current -1967 Bahama Yellow 912 POLO 2cam4 #1
    www.reSeeWorks.com
    Personalized Vintage Porsche's and parts
    I couldn't find the sports car of my dreams, so I built it myself-Ferdinand Porsche