Thread: 911E handbrake ‘Oil’ light troubleshooting

911E handbrake ‘Oil’ light troubleshooting

The light on the upper portion of my oil gauge in my 1970 911E turned on randomly & I can’t seem to figure out how to get it to turn off. The contact on the e-brake is set properly. I even backed the adjustment screw out all the way to see if that would turn the light off. Didn’t work.

Brake fluid is full & the parking brake doesn’t seem to be causing the red light on the gauge to stay on. Is there anything else I should check to troubleshoot the problem? Is there a process of elimination that others have tried to figure out the solution?

I’ve read that the light will flash if it’s a parking brake issue & solid might mean the master cylinder switch is failing? If that is the case. How do I get to the switch to see if I can reset the pin?
    Last edited by smiles11; 10-12-2021 at 09:16 PM.

This might sound dumb but are you sure you’ve set the ebreak all the way down? Sometimes if I don’t have the ebreak fully disengaged the red light will keep on blinking

My light is solid red. It does not flash. The ebrake set all the way down doesn’t clear the light.

I also backed the screw out to see if that would disengage the contact & clear the light. Didn’t work.

Could a solid red light be a handbrake issue? Or is only flashing that signals the handbrake?

Quote Originally Posted by smiles11 View Post
    My light is solid red. It does not flash. The ebrake set all the way down doesn’t clear the light.

I also backed the screw out to see if that would disengage the contact & clear the light. Didn’t work.

Could a solid red light be a handbrake issue? Or is only flashing that signals the handbrake?
    Sorry, i missed that it was a solid red light.

Maybe try looking at this:

Quote Originally Posted by larry47us View Post
    Ed:

I haven't checked my manual, but from what Harry said, and I trust his knowledge, the light at the top of the oil gauge is dual purpose, but on the '73, it has nothing to do with oil.

1. The light will flash when the emergency brake is engaged.
    2. The light will glow solid when the brake fluid is low.

3. Oil pressure is read by using the gauge -- NOT the light. There is no "idiot" light for oil pressure. Porsche assumes that if you can drive this car, you can read the pressure gauge.

Does that clarify things? Otherwise, I'm not sure what you are confused about.

larry
    https://www.early911sregistry.org/fo...l=1#post278199

I have read that thread. Good info there, and the reason why I checked on my brake fluid. Which isn’t the issue. The brake fluid reservoir is full & has been since the light registered. I’m going to check & see if I can find the master cylinder switch to try and reset the pin. That is the only thing I have not tried so far.

Sorry, my reading comprehension is seriously lacking. Try checking the contacts in that case might be faulty wiring. Have you driven the car a lot recently?

Yeah I’ve driven it about 1000 miles in the last month. Its hard to resist driving it.

I think I figured it out. I’ll update tonight, but I located the MBC plug & I'm going to push on it tonight to see if the pin can reset.

Thread over on pelican helped with diagnosis.

https://forums.pelicanparts.com/pors...eshooting.html