Thread: Day-A-Way a NO-GO...

Cool Day-A-Way a NO-GO...

Signed up for another PCA GPX Region's twice a year 'Day-A-Way' from work Monday track day at the 'Streets of Willow Springs' at our local track in Rosamond CA. Weeks leading up to the event I realized that my left shoulder (need surgery) was not getting any better so I wasn't going to run the event but volunteered to instruct... And so did our former ESSES art director Eric Williams. Eric was going to run the event and instruct.

What we didn't take as seriously as we should was the greater Antelope Valley was predicted to have a one day 'wind event'...
    I've been going out to Willow Springs since cutting High School in 1966... Sure it gets super windy in the CA high desert, and at Willow it usually comes in at about 1:00 pm.......... But last Monday was something completely different !!!
    During the 8:00 drivers meeting the wind started to pick up... and it just got worse from there. Halfway through the first run group the session was called with drivers not being able to see the track !!! ...

Eric and I had two new friends that we were going to instruct for their very first 'track day' ... They registered, teched, took the 'ground school' the day before, and were REALLY looking forward to the event.... We reluctantly pulled the plug and left the event with our student friends... as well as half the other participants... We felt it wasn't fair or safe for our friend's first track day... We learned later that it was hit and miss, depending how much dust was in the air on on the track, for the folks that stayed...

Meanwhile, on our way back south to L.A. we encountered the HWY 14 wind/dust road closure !!! ...
    https://ktla.com/news/local-news/dus...of-14-freeway/

After miles of detour we were able to get back on the freeway and climbed out of the Antelope Valley. The wind died down and one of the first offramps was Angeles Forest Highway to take us up and over to L.A. ......

After a super frustrating early day we made the best of a GREAT canyon drive...

- Eric's 'Gold Ticket' '73 3.2 hot rod
    - Tommy's '72 2.5 hot rod
    - Gus's '74 3.0 hot rod
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by Chuck Miller; 10-14-2021 at 12:39 PM.
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Too bad, but you still made the most of it! That last picture looks absolutely perfect. Still need to drive that road if I'm in LA again...
    1970 2.2S Elfenbeinweiss
    1972 2.4T Targa Aubergine (MFI) [For sale]
    2002 996 TT Midnight Blue
    Member #3833