Thread: Electrical Gremlin

Electrical Gremlin

I've nearly completed restoration of my 1970 911T. It was parked for 30 years. The engine and transmission were rebuilt and all other mechanical parts were replaced or refurbished. Electrical work was as follows- rebuilt starter, rebuilt alternator, rebuilt distributor, rebuilt fuel pump, new batteries, new ground straps, new washer pump, new spark plug wires, new plugs, new horn relay, refurbished clock, replaced defective bulbs, and cleaned some contacts. Additionally, I had the voltage regulator checked by an experienced shop. The wiring is all original.

Everything electrical works as it should. However the left turn signal indicator light in the tach glows when the headlight switch is pulled. I use the word "glows" because the intensity is less than normal. In fact, I did not notice it until I drove at night. This occurs when the ignition is off and when the car is running. The turn signals and indicator lights work correctly when activated with the steering column controls.

Any ideas on how to resolve this problem? (other than quit driving at night)

Bruce E.

i can tell you one thing.
    with the car off. if you push the turn signal down...it will light up the blinkers on that side.
    there may be a link there.

Current long term ownership: 63 Cab, 71 911, 74 914

On a car parked for 30 years I'm willing to bet it will be a corroded ground connection or a corroded power connection at a bulb contact.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

My initial thought is this. The left turn signal is providing a path to ground for something in the headlamp or parking light circuit. This is causing the bulb to glow dimly. Somewhere in the circuit is a poor ground. Find it and it will stop. Voltage drop testing is my preferred method. Using a wiring diagram go through each ground systematically.

make sure you have the correct bulbs in the turn signals

Bob has given me a thought to expand on here. Make sure the bulbs are installed correctly. I’ve seen many customers change their own bulbs and install them backwards. The 1157 bulb is dual filament. The lugs are different height. It can be forced in backwards. Turn on the parking lights. If you find one that is much brighter than the others, start looking there.